Another Try

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Duskembrance, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Duskembrance

Duskembrance New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alright then.

The other threads i've seen on the subject are Useless, The same 5-10 comments repeated in various grammatical format.

let's have a Useful thread on the Subject.
    Let's also have a thread where the responders know what they're talking about.

iPod Touch/Phone Overclocking.

We already know the "sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=***000000" (The Asterisk represents a Number) command for Terminal works, BUT there are no Write capabilities for the file titled "hw.cpufrequency".

Where might this file be?

Also how to Access it if it's hidden.

No, I don't give a flying f*** if my Touch/Phone will overheat.
    No, I don't give a flying f*** if my battery life is reduced significantly.
  2. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    what is the problem here? what are you trying to do? and why don't you give a flying farmer?
  3. FailSafeIsntSafe

FailSafeIsntSafe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    To be honest man, to save all your troubles in going through all of this (including the risk of breaking your ipod touch 2g), I recommend you buy an ipod touch 2.5g (or 3g, if you must)

if you don't wanna spend the money, perhaps you can wait after christmas and use money attained over that period and buy one. Because that ipod is significantly faster than the 2g ipod touch.
  4. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    i really don't understand what he's trying to do...i am just stupid?
  5. Duskembrance

Duskembrance New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I don't want Advice.
    I don't want questions.

I want an answer to my question.
  6. GeorgeJQ

GeorgeJQ Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i dont get your question..
  7. iTragedy

iTragedy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Tried, failed... anyone else? Still looking into this.

Well, my only attempt is at putting this in /etc/fstab

su
    myrootpassword
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_max=533000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency=533000000
    sysctl -w hw.cpufrequency_min=412000000

The thinking that since firmware has been able to change this value, inherently, loading this beforehand works. I've found a bunch of folks with the same idea afterwards, but sysctl -a still shows all those values at 412000000 (iPhone 1st gen)

<ignore_rant>Was this value writable in 1.x firmware? Jeez... I revert back to that firmware every time I want to do anything fun. Each new firmware takes more features away. I noticed in 3.x the USB serial recovery mode commands don't show any --help info or tell any information (ie printenv, getenv) anymore. So it's a pain to find some current environment variables, unlike in 2.x. I can't even read voltage anymore unless I revert to 2.x. </ignore_rant>

Like the OP –I'm frustrated. Is anyone on an iPod related thread knowledgeable? Not to be an ass, but most of the iPod / iPhone related forums / websites have been inundated with lonely adolescents offering their worldview on this matter, vs what changes can be made at boot time or to the firmware. FYI - the latter seems the favored since I've found some reports of that working. Not to beat a dead horse, but not sure if they're just full of crap and wanting attention though since they conveniently can't explain the steps involved.

If you don't know what we're talking about, you won't be able to help FYI. It's technical. No offense, you just won't care about our progress and your comments just waste time as I skim them to check responses. If he was more explicit, I'm sure this would be 34 pages long (as I've seen elsewhere) with "OMG DONT DU THAT ITLL REK UR IPODZ APPLE NOES BEST I HART STEEB JOBS GEEZ U SO STUPID KTHX BUY" But if you don't like that answer, I advise doing some research. Unlike the OT, your question is a quick search away from a decade's worth of thorough documentation for answers. (o;
  8. SilentWalker

SilentWalker Retired Moderator

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ^ As harsh as it is, it's true!

I thought I would see some serious responses in this thread, and when I scroll down all I see is crap. I'm not a technical dude who understands the software mods to accomplish a overclock, but it's just interesting to see results.

I think the op made it clear that he doesn't give a flying platypus about what happens to his iPod, so why the hell do you all care.

Please don't post useless crap.

(sorry for the harshness, but so many good threads are ruined by such useless responses).
  9. iTragedy

iTragedy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Shh - You used the o-word. The huddled masses will catch on! (o;

Thanks for the support. Here's to avoiding another brain-dead thread.

I'm toying with a broken iPod Touch 2G a friend gave me (toilet water + cracked LCD during their repair attempt + prior "sandy beach incident" = it's bad. I'll likely just keep it for spare parts.)

The mainboard's digitizer capability is somehow fried, but it works otherwise so I figured I'd try to get it to recovery mode and access iboot via USB. Doing other things with the hardware, I stumbled on one possibility that made me think of this thread. It's probably a lot of work if the OT is your only goal though, as you'd be decrypting, modifying, injecting a custom ramdisk to setup a memory resident bootloader for our alterations. Eff, I hate crApple sometimes... anyway, might post back if I find anything germane to the topic.
  10. JakobKuki

JakobKuki New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    FOR EVERYONE WHO IS CLUELESS...

Overclocking is the process from whcih you run the processor faster than it was meant to be. This is to improve the preformance of the device but can also cause severe problems, the worst at which the whole thing dies. Sometimes overclocking will not work, but will run at a normal speed. Sometimes it works but because the processor is running faster, it transmits something (i think elctrowaves but im not sure I forgot what I just read about yesterday on overclocking, trying to do it on my DROID XD) and can reduce the life of other parts of the device. Anyways I dont have any clue how to overclock but was just posting for the clueless peoples out there