Another scenario with 1.1.4 jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by SeRb2nV, Mar 3, 2008.

1. SeRb2nV

SeRb2nV New Member

2 nights ago i upgraded my 16GB ipod touch from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4 using ZiPhoneGUI 2.3 when the highly common 'BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0' problem occured. i thought it would be fairly easy to overcome seeing as everyone has made youtube videos about it and there are many forums with the problem and multiple solutions.

firstly i tested the basic 'hold the power and home key simoltaniously' theroy as it was the most common and most likely to work. surprisingly it didn't to its job.

Please Register or Log in to view images

my ipod just stayed as it was looping the irritating 'BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0' message as it was before the atempt.

next i went for the DFU method. i used many different methods of forced DFU mode
    - ZiPhone
    - CMD programs
    - iPhuc
    yet none provailed.

at this stage i was becoming a bit traumatised as i was running out of options. i knew there had to be a limited amount of ways that an iPod touch could be unbricked / restored.

i had now noticed that my iPod touch was not being recognised by my PC. i began to inspect the white text on my iPod screen more thuroughly. i noticed that when i had unplugged my USB cable it would show the message 'IOIpodUSBDevice::startIpodStack can't start! Need Configuration'. i googled, dogpiled and asked jeeves about that message, i had recieved very little to no information to help me. just the same old 'hold the power and home button' method.

the final method which i had tried just before this post was the 'change USB port' method. very simple but could come out with good results. i was told to use a non crutial USB port(one which wasnt used during the deterieration of my ipod'. once again, no luck

now i am down to this, annoying my fellow iPod admirers. making them go out of their way to try help me with my problem. as you can see this is my first post because i NEVER post my problems. i search so thurougly through each and every forum that there is usually one solution for any problem i am faced with.

if someone knows a way to fix this could they please let me know.
    write a tutorial, hyperlink one, anything.
    it is either i have a very unique problem, or i just havent been reading the instructions thuroughly enough. but i am quite sure it isnt my misreading of instructions seeing as i tried each of these methods at least 6 times each.

a quick review.
    - i was using a 16GB iPod touch with jailbroken firmware 1.1.3
    - i am running Windows XP Media Edition with a Vista Brickopack(if that makes any difference)
    - my problem is that my ipod wont turn off until the battery is drained, no method listed above will have any effect whatsoever.

please help
    thank you

2. Anonymouslyanonymous

Anonymouslyanonymous Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    First and foremost, do not panic, your ipod touch cannot get bricked.

Are you sure you did the DFU force restore properly. Last time I software upgraded my touch to 1.1.3, I also had a similar problem (although not related to BSD). My touch just got stuck in a loop of booting and connect to itunes state.

I managed to solve it by doing a force restore as followed:

1. Connect your iPod touch into iTunes through the USB cable.
    2. Press and hold both the Hold and Home physical buttons simaltaneously until the screen turns off (black), then let go. (Your iPod touch also disappears from iTunes or if it didn't appear in the first place, it still won't appear)
    3. Release the Hold button whilst still holding the Home button until your iPod touch pops back in iTunes (this is the crucial part, I had to hold the home button for like 2 or 3 minutes until itunes recognised it).

Hope it works
  3. SeRb2nV

SeRb2nV New Member

i tried that several times...my ipod is still having troubles.

e.g it will charge just enough 2 turn it on and give me the white text, but then after 10-20 mins it will turn off again and i have to unplug it then plug it back in.

and does my iPod HAVE to be connected to my computer when trying to force it into recovery mode?
  4. badbuddah

badbuddah New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you try iPod restore utility available on Apple website?
  5. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    iTunes?
  6. SeRb2nV

SeRb2nV New Member

weirdest thing EVER!!!

my ipod just suddenly turned itself on and off :O:O
    and it was on the recovery mode screen(itunes with cable picture)
    problem solved, i guess?

im restoring 1.1.2 now so i can do an alternate 1.1.4 update:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43368

any comments on that idea? past experiences?
  7. papan

papan New Member

I also have the same problem, need someone help

8. kiko

kiko New Member

EDIT:
    You must put your iPod touch into recovery mode.
    To do this: hold down both the Sleep/Wake and Home button pressed until you see the Apple logo.
    Then keeping ONLY the Home button pressed, until you see the iTunes logo and cable on the screen.
  9. Tsuneku

Tsuneku New Member

... With the usb cable connected to the PC/Mac, else is impossibile (it was impossibile for me) to send in recovery mode the itouch.

Hi to all, this is my first post and my English is orrible, forgive me

10. BruceLeroy

BruceLeroy New Member

Same problem just happened to me. I googled and found this post. I solved the problem by first turning it on (both buttons pressed) then turning it off (both buttons pressed) then waited 2 seconds and let go of the power button but kept the home button depressed for about a minute and itunes finally recognized it. Until then, itunes and my pc stopped recognizing my ipod. Itunes then restored the firmware. I hope this helps someone.