Another one bites the dust!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 4dthinker, Feb 27, 2008.

1. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I went to bed last night leaving my working iPod Touch on the sofa in the living room. Got up this morning, plugged it into my iHome dock to charge it up. Screen went white. Have read about white screen of death. Apparently my 8gb Touch bought the first week they came out, has succumbed to it. It seems to be "alive" under the white screen, as iTunes recognized it. I tries the 1.1.4 update and it found an error, suggesting a restore. I restored it, and now itunes reports it has 1.1.4 on it, but I can't see anything except a white screen on the Touch itself.

Those of you that have had this problem, do you contact Apple directly for a replacement? I bought mine from the little computer store on my campus that sells them, but they are not a dedicated Apple store.

Thanks
    4D
  2. swillard8

swillard8 New Member

Contact apple as i have never heard of this problem before.
  3. hangman323

hangman323 New Member

i would contact apple they will give you a new one just make sure if u jb it you put it back to factory settings.
  4. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Just so you'll know, Apple's online support page has no clues about the white screen death. Even when signing up to send it back to them there was no option under "display" for a white-screen-of-death problem. I had to pick connectivity error which then gave me a box to describe the white screen problem.

Hopefully I'll hear from them soon. If they know of this problem and it is unfixable, I wish they would just send me a replacement and ask me to send the broken one back to them in the same box. now THAT would be A-1 service.
  5. Touch²

Touch² New Member

6. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Yes. Exactly like that. Still haven't gotten an email response from them, even considering that they warned it might take them an hour to read the claim I sent them. Seems like they must read really s l o w

Please Register or Log in to view images

as it'a wasn't that long a document.

7. apple_ipod

apple_ipod Member

I suggest calling apple customer care. Forget waiting for a response by email.
  8. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I hope it all works out

But off topic that is a great song.
  9. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I did get an email response late this afternoon. They are sending a box I'm supposed to ship the Touch back to them in. The lengthy disclaimer warns that I may have to pay shipping, repair costs, etc., but that the costs may also all be covered by the warranty (which I'm still within).

I'm going to take it back to the university shop where I bought it and see if they'll exchange it. If they don't, I'll ship it to Apple.
  10. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Boy, I never knew how much addicted I was to my Touch until it died. I certainly have other distracting toys, but I had integrated the Touch into my whole day now that it had email and my job has wifi everywhere.

Just in case you're interested, seeqpod.com can find several copies of "Another One Bites the Dust" if you just want a listen.