Another Jailbreak thread

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by tmsmith, Jul 1, 2009.

1. tmsmith

tmsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello,

Sorry for another jailbreak thread but I had a few questions that I couldn't seem to locate an exact answer - nor did I want to hi-jack anyone else's thread. I'll get on to the questions..

1. Should I go ahead and jailbreak 3.0 or wait until 3.1 jailbreak is available?
    2. What exactly does Cydia do?
    3. Can you also download iTunes Apps from the AppStore along with jailbreak applications?
    4. If you currently have 3.0 OS installed, is there anyway to keep from losing your music and apps when jailbreaking?

Sorry if this has been answered a million times (which I'm sure has), but I am completely new to this scene and would like to get better informed before I try jailbreaking.

Thanks in advanced!
  2. Ralzaider

Ralzaider New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. The 3.0 jailbreak is still rather unstable. I had to restore and rejailbreak three times in order to get everything to work properly. If you have the patience, then I say go for it.

2. Cydia is a package manager that allows you to download apps that haven't been approved for the app store. Using Cydia and WinterBoard (theme manager), you can greatly customize the look and functionality of your device.

3. Yes.

4. That depends if you're jailbreaking from a clean restore or not. I had some issues jailbreaking from a backup, so I had to wipe my iPod, then rejailbreak. If you have to do a clean restore, just sync your songs and movies back in after the jailbreak (make sure everything works before syncing, or you'll be just wasting your time!).

Good luck!
  3. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

1. Jailbreak it with 3.0.
    2. Cydia is a 3rd party installer designed by Saurik (Jay Freeman).
    3. You can still download AppStore apps if you are jailbroken. Cydia will just give you apps that can access parts of the system that iTunes apps won't.
    4. If you jailbreak with redsn0w 0.7.2 (see signature for download link) then you won't lose anything.

I hope that helped.
  4. tmsmith

tmsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Huge thanks for the quick reply Ralzaider and jawcl.

I guess I'll give it a go and see how it goes the first time around. From what I've read - there is no harm in jailbreaking and restoring correct?

Thanks again!
  5. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Are you jailbreaking with 2.2.1 or 3.0? If you are doing 3.0 then you can't do a restore, you just jailbreak it in like 2 minutes.
  6. tmsmith

tmsmith New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I currently have 3.0.

By "can't", I'm assuming you meant that it wasn't necessary?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Sorry if I misunderstood.