Another App Store Fraud???

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by JDUDE11, Aug 3, 2010.

1. JDUDE11

JDUDE11 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sorry if this is old, and if not, sorry for minimum details.

Look at App #14 in the US Top Grossing apps; there is some random app (in Mandarin) that costs $119.99. I've never seen this app before, nor have I heard of it. The reviews specifically complain about being charged for the app which they didn't buy. Looks like a very simple news reading and/or RSS program. It looks like this hasn't been a widespread problem yet.

The app is from "iQian Studio", and was released on April 30.
  2. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Top Grossing means they have made more money then the other apps. So since it is $119.99 only need like 50 people to buy it because it is so much it will send to to the top or close to the top of the list.
  3. JDUDE11

JDUDE11 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know that, but I was just posting because more people could be scammed in the future.

This looks suspicious because the app is less than 1 megabyte, doesn't look to do anything extraordinary, is obviously over priced, and specifically had users complaining about having this charged to their account when they never bought it.
  4. Half-Life

Half-Life Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
  5. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well, not speaking Mandarin, I have no idea what this does, but it could be worth $120 to someone who can use it.

In terms of fraud, I've never heard of apps downloading and billing themselves, but I have heard of people leaving their password stored and having friends/kids play around in the app store and buy something they shouldn't.
  6. JDUDE11

JDUDE11 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You aren't familiar with the massive app store breach on July 4th, and the minor follow up a few days later? People had their account info stolen (without phishing, viruses, etc) by some website, and some Korean developer used this to get a bunch of generic Book apps onto the top paid list on the Books section of the app store.

I think this could possibly be something similar to that, which is why I brought this up. How the info could be stolen without phishing, viruses, etc, is beyond me. However it was possible on July 4th, and it looks like it might be happening again. Not trying to sound crazy or paranoid, just a warning.
  7. Mookler

Mookler Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Mmm nope, not familiar.

Sucks though, and I guess it's happening again.

Run while you can? Haha.
  8. JDUDE11

JDUDE11 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch