annoying wifi turning off issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by patsissons, Mar 9, 2009.

1. patsissons

patsissons New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    This isn't 2.2.2 specific, it also happened in 2.2.1, but not before.

The issue is that when i return from a locked screen, the wifi won't auto connect. I will head to the wifi settings, only to see that wifi is turned off (clearly i did not turn it off). The annoying part is that if i turn it back on, the ipod will associate with the nearest AP that it has credentials for, ***BUT*** it refuses to renew the DHCP lease, thus leaving it without an IP. I cannot force a DCHP renew by clicking the button either, it simply sits there and does nothing. The only fix for this i have found (other than a full restart) is to turn on the wifi, turn off the wifi, wait a min or two for the wifi unit's association cache to clear, then turn wifi back on and click on the desired AP right away. not exactly an automated system and extremely annoying...

anyone experience this, or have any clues why this keeps happening? I really want to know why the wifi keeps turning itself off on its own. There isn't a log or dmesg of the wifi unit's activity is there?
  2. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    2.2.2 isn't even out

Please Register or Log in to view images

All you have to do is go into settings and then click the blue arrow on your wifi and set it to "static"
  3. patsissons

patsissons New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    haha good point, i meant 2.2.1 and 2.2.0.

if i set the IP to static then i would have to type in the IP, netmask, and gateway, which would take even longer. not exactly what i want to accomplish here.

i am curious if any of the apps i have installed have fudged with dhcp/wifi settings at all. I do have WiFinder and Wi-Fi Finder, but i doubt they are the cause. the ipod is also jb'd, so i hope that is not the cause either.
  4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Yea but you will only have to enter it once if you have to enter it at all. When I hit static it just uses the same ip, netmask, and gateway as dhcp uses. But what static does is it keeps the same info(ip, etc) so it doesnt have to renew the ip every time it connects so it automatically connects the second you unlock. No waiting to connect to wifi.
  5. patsissons

patsissons New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes but this can create a major problem, if you assign yourself ip of say, 192.168.1.100, and your DHCP server assigns someone else 192.168.1.100 (since it has no idea you assigned your self ***.100) then you have an IP collision, which causes major network problems (for both you and the poor unsuspecting victim). Static IP's should only be used when there is no DHCP server to provide IP address leases. Unless of course, you know that there is a static range of IP's that are available for you to use. But even in this case, you still have to coordinate with the pool of people who may use the static IP's to ensure that you are not clobbering someone's static lease.
  6. tellfive

tellfive New Member

Static is not a fix for me visiting several locations (my network, work, and random free) and finding WiFi off. I want the NEXT location to pick-up as well and not having to consistently hang out w/settings. I also notice that once i do turn it on it is taking longer to connect, but maybe this is the same location issue that the static fix is suggested for.

Looking for solutions....