Annoying Restore/Recovery Loop

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by xdanny_boyx, Dec 2, 2008.

1. xdanny_boyx

xdanny_boyx New Member

Well first of all here is what I'm running:

2G iPod Touch (8GB) 2.2 (NOT Jail-broken)
    Macbook with OSX 10.5.5

The problem is the ever popular recovery/restore loop. My iPod Touch when I turn it on is showing the USBCable -> iTunes Symbol screen. When I plug it into iTunes it comes up with the message;

"iTunes has detected an iPod in recovery mode. You must restore this iPod before it can be used with iTunes."

So I click the Restore button and it starts to restore it and it starts extracting the software successfully and then prepares the iPod for restore. The progress bar and apple symbol then shows up on my iPod and iTunes shows "Restoring iPod" and half way through comes up with this message;

"The iPod "iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (14)."

I have also tried restoring some manually downloaded firmware in and out of DFU mode and it simply says "The iPod could not be restored."

Any ideas?
  2. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Did you go to the apple website and look to see what error 14 is? If you did it usually tells how to resolve issue. Try restarting your computer and even using a different usb port.

If that doesnt work try putting it into dfu mode. Then restoring through itunes

Oh and by the way there is no jailbreak for the 2g so didnt really need to put that lol

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. xdanny_boyx

xdanny_boyx New Member

I tried doing all the things which show up when you click Help on the error message.

And also I tried swapping usb ports and I even made a new user on my macbook to try it fresh on their and it always comes up with an error. The numbers that show up at the end of the message seem to be random (as I've had pretty much all of them each time i try to restore)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well I got the latest firmware and did an alt-restore with it in DFU mode and it still didn't work.

Error (6)

So up to now, it's still not solved. If I solve it I'll post how to do it. And in the mean time if anybody can help or offer advice it'll be much appreciated!
  4. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Keep going into DFU and keep restoring, you'll get there eventually or take it to apple.
  5. xdanny_boyx

xdanny_boyx New Member

Haha! I just did it 5 or 6 times, each time the progress bar got a little further. Then eventually it completed the restore and came up with the successful restore message in iTunes...

the iPod turned itself off and when it came back on again I was back to square one!

HAHA! I WANT TO CRY BUT I'M SMILING TO TRY AND STOP MYSELF!