Angry Rant About The Reputation System

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by spoonforknife, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Grrr....
    Just because I have 4 rep bars, it doesn't mean I'm better, cooler, or nerdier than anyone else on this forum. (That is debatable though

Please Register or Log in to view images

) I get rep saying "Free rep! Rep Back - (insert username here) and "With 4 Rep Bars???". That last one really infuriates me. What the hell is that supposed to mean? That I somehow shouldn't say what I said just because people have congratulated me because of my guides?

The reputation system is horrible! People will expect me to like this damn thing seeing as I am somehow magically attached to it, having the highest reputation. Does it matter? No! Does it have any significance? No! In short, it doesn't do sh*t. Nada, nothing.

Instead of post-whoring, people are rep-whoring. Sometimes I even get PMs saying "Please rep me, I want to get to 100 reps! Please!!!!" Did I mention these were from a moderator?

I mean, it doesn't even work in the fact that it is supposed to give recognition to people. It's like post count, but a little bit better. Post count doesn't mean anything. It's if you have contributed like jpga13. He is an amazing member. The thing is, he's only posted a total of like 15 times in the Off-Topic section. Thus, nobody has heard of him, even though he has been on the forum for a very long time and helps many, many people. He doesn't get rep very often from what I can gather. He doesn't write epic guides. He is the quintessence of a great, straight-forward forum member.

jpga13 for moderator.
    I think he'd be fantastic.
    [Yeah, I know these things have no impact on the decision process, but still]

That's my opinion on the reputation system and helpful members.
    Voice your take on the matter.

spoonforknife
    2 people like this.
  2. tian_kr

tian_kr New Member

3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    *Yawn* World moves along...

4. erinerupt07

erinerupt07 Banned

I personally don't give a sh*t about rep or post count. Like you said rep doesn't have any significance and some people who have really high post count are just post whores with no life or some of them have been on this website for a really long time.

5. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You make great points, especially about jpga13.

I have been asked to "rep back" from a moderator.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I like getting rep...it makes me feel good. But still, I'd rather have 40,000 posts than 40,000 rep points. And whoever asks me for rep gets NO rep or NEGATIVE rep!

7. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Excellent post.
    If everyone just completely ignores the reputation system, however, everything will be solved.

I think I'll rep you just for the irony.
  8. ddgv

ddgv Well-Known Member

wow that is a lil bit lame coming from a moderator!!!.... and ive been ask by some ppl too about returning reps... that is kind of lame i would say...... i think ive only ask like once for someone to give me rep and its was just cause i stayed all night trying to find a solution ..... anyways... spoony i think u made a good point about jpga13 i always see him helping ppl (ALOT) and most of the times he beats me to give the answer lol....
  9. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

I didn't really see any valid "points" that were made in this post that haven't been said before. This seemed more like a plug for a moderator nomination rather than another rant of the rep system. We've all heard this complaint before, everyone says "reputation doesn't matter", but honestly it does. Just face it, people care about reputation, including you (spoonforknife). I'd have to agree with Teslanaut:

10. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.