Angelic's Quake Project

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Angelic, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Angelic

Angelic New Member

Who I Am
    Alright guys, for those of you who don't know, or haven't read the first thread on the Quake 3 port, my name's Eric and I'm an MIT student majoring in Computer Science. I am trying to replicate what was show in the video, and then improve upon it.

Where I'm At
    I am using the ioquake3 (http://ioquake3.org/) source, which is working pretty well for what it is. I have gotten it to compile (sorta-kinda), and have gotten to the menu screen. I have also gotten into the game itself (not via menu, but by directly running the game launcher with the command line), but if I touch the screen, it crashes. I also continue to have the "random deletion" problem, where it will either delete or overwrite critical system files, and make the device malfunction. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMPILE UNLESS YOU LIKE TO RESTORE AND REJAILBREAK EVERY TIME THE GAME CLOSES. I have had to do this almost 20 times in the past three days.

04.10.2008 @ 12:21EST
    Now, in the heat of things, I pulled a pretty big stupid. Compiling directly on the iPod is probably the most idiotic thing I could have thought of doing. So, I am now going to make the install on my Linux machine, and SSH it onto my device. I am not an idiot, and I don't expect it to work without a bit of code modification, but error messages are my friend, and they give me a place to start.​

04.12.2008 @ 11:15EST
    My iPod is dead. I kinda lost most of my stuff, so I'm gonna need someone with a Mac to compile the ioquake3 source for me, and send it so I can try this stuff out on my new 32gb iPod. Thanks guys! Also, check out my latest post... link

Help Wanted
    If you think you can help me out, please for the love of god PM or post here and let me know.

I'm looking for people who have good knowledge of Objective-C and anything that has to do with making a control overlay.

In the coming days I will put up a blog and post my progress there.
  2. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 New Member

Thanks for the update, Angelic. Good luck with your project.
  3. swillard8

swillard8 New Member

wow sounds great, i am currently LEARNIN objective C so i am quite new. But i f you want my knowledge give me a shout.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Considering the response to the original HermitWorks video on our blog (and just about every-freakin'-where else) I'd have to say, if you can pull this off -- and implement real controls, make it work, and most importantly release this thing, you'd have a mega hit on your hands (and I may have to shore up the blog's defenses in the event of another Digg avalanche.

Please Register or Log in to view images

)

Good luck with the project! I really hope this one pans out.
  5. telnoi

telnoi New Member

It seems that Hermitworks has been working on the port to get their own game ready for 2.0, which also uses the quake 3 engine. Therefore, I am almost certain that they won't release quake 3.

Hopefully, you can pull this off. Keep the JB community alive

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. metroplex

metroplex New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    will quake be only able to run on new 2.0 firmware or 1.1.1/.2/.3/4 also?
  7. UnderClassHero

UnderClassHero New Member

w00t for angelic and his team!!!
    support you guys 100%
    I'll donate once i get my credit card back.
  8. tag009

tag009 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    good luck with this!!
    sounds awsome!
  9. bl4ckout

bl4ckout New Member

woo... are you going to have multiplayer in it?
  10. The Baydestrian

The Baydestrian Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    good luck on this!