Android OS...The Better OS?

Discussion in 'Android Chat' started by callofduty4, Jul 18, 2010.

1. callofduty4

callofduty4 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay First Off, I think anyone that doesn't admit that both the iOS and Android OS both have faults is either a FanBoy of just ill informed.

I have been an iPod touch User since the first generation with iOS 1.1.1 installed. It was probably the greatest thing ever at the time. But generally speaking the iOS really hasn't drastically changed since that time. I mean you have the introduction of the app store which has been a running success, but the actual interface hasn't changed much.

Android on the other hand, definitely has more of a customizable feel to it, you really can change the phone without having to "root" or "jailbreak" the device. I really think Widgets have a huge part in the success of Android as a whole.

I have the HTC Droid Incredible, and it really is a great phone.

I just want to know if there are any Android users in this forum, and if you can speak of your experiences with both Operating Systems.

Thank You

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have an Evo 4G, and I am loving it. But for me to say one is better than the other is, biased I guess the word is, because I just got it, so naturally I will be excited about it. I like both OS's, and think they fit well on their device.
  3. QuestCrew1

QuestCrew1 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Android is the better system, but the iphone has a upper hand in apps and developers which makes it pretty popular. If Android steps its market up then it could contend with the apps for the appstore, because i think Appstore apps are better than the ones on my android devicce
  4. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What android has done in the short time its been around is pretty astounding. Considering the platform is still in its infancy, its a very well rounded OS. The only thing holding it back, at least for the moment is the fewer devs that work on the platform. Once it gets a larger foothold in the dev community, it will be an even bigger force to be reckoned with.

It has the ability to further overtake iOS because of its more regular large firmware updates. Its probably gonna be another year for 5.0 before iOS gets widgets and other things android has had for ages and in that time, android could very well get a much larger stake in the smartphone market.
  5. QuestCrew1

QuestCrew1 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    yuuup!
  6. callofduty4

callofduty4 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, The two biggest things that I believe makes iOS devices to stand out are...

1) iTunes
    2) App Store

But with the Android Market growing in developers every day, time will only tell when the market becomes equally as good as the App Store
  7. all_against_one

all_against_one New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I actually have an Evo too. The only thing that I find better in the iOS is the stability.. My Evo is rooted and my other Apple devices aren' all jailbroken but most are.. I think Apple has really gone all the way with have a great and stable OS but the Evo is much more customizable and has a better App Store in my opinion.. Although the Evo is 4G there isn't anywhere around where I live except UCF that has 4G coverage and Sprint's service honestly sucks compared to AT&T.. My conclusion is that a good stable phone with a decent company is the iPhone 4 which I do have and if you want to customize your phone out the yin yang then go with the Evo.. Or actually just the Droid OS.. It's really a personal opinion..
  8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I've decided to move this thread to the 'Other Devices' forum.

Yes, I have the HTC Droid Incredible. It's very nice; I rooted using unrevoked 3, and I'm very impressed with some of the custom ROMs out there.

That said, I can't wait for Froyo.
  9. callofduty4

callofduty4 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, yeah its alright I didn't know where to post this

Please Register or Log in to view images

How is rooting? I have never done it, and what do you mean by custom ROMS
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Rooting is really cool, and easy. If you're interested, I've got a link that will get you from start to finish, and help with ROMs, etc.

A custom ROM is an Android image that has been edited by a developer. Right now, the stock (the ROM the Incredible shipped with) is still the best.

Anyways, there are some Froyo ROMs out there (Cyanogen, Sky Raider), and then there are some vanilla ROMs out there. Most of them support the Incredible, but not a 100% yet, because it is still relatively new.

Either way, it's a little more hands-on than jailbreaking an iPod now, but it has the same feel as jailbreaking for the first time under 1.1.1.

It's really cool.

Anyways, here's the link. It'll guide you to root, remove some bloatware, backup using Nandroid and Titanium, and install some custom ROMs and kernels.