Android on everything: no complaints. iPhone OS on tablet: complaints?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zc456, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Zc456

Zc456 Member

So the Android OS, with the Android Market, similar to the App Store, is a phone OS. Yet its been on such tablets as the Dell Mini 5, Tegra's tablets, and even on giant TVs. None of these have a revived such a huge uproar, Nintendo didn't even bother to comment. Most were like, "Wow! It can do this to!?"

Now Apple releases the iPad, running the iPhone OS, and everyone considers it an iPod Touch XL!? Even though prior to the event tablets, netbooks, and even TVs were all running a Android. A freakin' Phone OS!

...​

What gives?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Doobie

Doobie New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    android:

supports multitasking

thats why people aren't complaining and probably why it could be useful in TV's.
    the iphoneOS has a lot of limitations and transferring that OS to tablets is a "faux pas". it was acceptable to have these limitations on your phone BUT NOT on a tablet.
  3. Zc456

Zc456 Member

For a while there I thought I turned off my instant notifications. Hopefully they'll add multitasking in 4.0. The other media types, well... Personally I'm fine with how it is now.
  4. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Because Android is open. It's basically a Linux distribution. To get themes and various third party apps (like emulators and such, or plugins like SBSettings) you would have to jailbreak. And who knows how long it will take for that to happen, while on Android it comes 'jailbroken' right out of the box.
  5. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    zDSpider said, Android is basically Linux, which is fine for everything.
  6. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Probably the reason; really, I love the look of Android 2.1...

But still, I think a lot of the hatred of the iPad is unfounded; after all, literally only a handful of people have used the device for more than, say, an hour. So really, I'll hold my judgement (or my condemning) off a little longer.
  7. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's because everybody expected something so amazing and mind-blowing that it would change the world. Nobody expected so much for Android so they weren't disappointed with it. They know how Android works, but they knew absolutely nothing about the tablet.
  8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    So people expected another iPhone out of Apple. But really, Apple didn't set any bar; people did.

I just can't blame Apple for this, when they didn't hype it. Hell, they didn't even say anything about it, until their unveiling.

I'm not a fanboy; I dislike Apple in many (many) ways, as some might know by now, but I still think the negative publicity towards Apple on this is unfounded.

Does anyone else see where I'm coming from here?
  9. Zc456

Zc456 Member

Pretty much. The hype was like one huge bubble just waiting to burst.
  10. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Completely agree with JKK, its all these rumours that stir up the sh*t storm that everyone believes. Happens every year.