And they said it wasn't possible..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jayskate, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jayskate

jayskate New Member

First of all, I've been visiting ipodtouchfans since christmas when i got my iPod touch 2G, waiting anxiously for the jailbreak. When it first came available(the manual way, no GPU) I spent an entire day learning how to do everything (I didn't even know how to get in command prompt before hand!) But it was the tethered jailbreak. So yesterday i decided to use quick freedom so i don't have to worry about bringing decovery with me everywhere in case my iPod dies. But when i was using Quick Freedom, I knew i had the 2.2.1 update on my computer somewhere, but i couldn't find it, so i began downloading it again while i started looking. I found it and started updating, creating the firmware and pre-jailbreaking, but i didn't realize the 2.2.1 update i found was actually the one i was only 25% through downloading.. you'd expect the file to not work at all, but apparently it did enough. My ipod has since been black screened, i put it in DFU mode successfully so i thought all wasn't lost, but anytime i try to restore i get an error everytime, and the screen remains black untill i begin to restore, then it turns white and 5-10 minutes after the error(16xx) error comes up. I find it hard to believe i'm the first person to successfully brick an iPod, but then again you never know, any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

FYI: i reinstalled itunes, tried a different computer, restarted this computer, and still no luck
  2. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    lolwut?

AFAIK, the only thing you can really do is try to restore again.
  3. jayskate

jayskate New Member

using command prompt...and i've tried several times. no luck.
  4. lhinds7

lhinds7 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Try a shift-click restore. It's still recognized in iTunes right? That's like the only thing you can do.
  5. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Oh i think you meant GUI not GPU.
    GUI = Graphic User Interface
    GPU = Graphics Processing Unit = Video Card
  6. jayskate

jayskate New Member

haha yeah by bad

Please Register or Log in to view images

and i tried shift click restores before with the original 2.2.1 update. same result, first person to ever brick an ipod..
  7. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    did you try the jailbreak from the beginning with a correct IPSW? I'm not saying you're lying but i find it hard to believe it's bricked. And are you positive it's in DFU mode?
  8. jayskate

jayskate New Member

100% sure, plug it in, hold down hold and home for 10 seconds, then release hold and keep home held down for another 10 seconds, its in DFU mode, but itunes does recognize it as an iPod, but the screen remains black until i try to restore
  9. DigitalSoul

DigitalSoul New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    What Firmware was it on before?
    If it was before 2.2.1 then use the lower IPSW to restore that update then create a custom firmware file and restore with the custom IPSW
  10. jayskate

jayskate New Member

It was 2.2.1 before
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thanks for the input, but I think i'm gonna call apple and claim this happened during an update