An open letter for Apple about jailbreaking.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fike, May 8, 2010.

1. Fike

Fike Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    This letter was wrote by me on behalf of everyone who jailbroke their iPhone/iPod/iPad, and all devs.

Dear Apple,

The majority of owners (including myself) of iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads have jailbroken their device. Yes, the J-word. Jailbreak.

I don't seem to understand why you think that jailbreaking is illegal. Jailbreaking is certainly not illegal, installing cracked apps however is illegal, and users should go the right way and purchase them from your App Store. Installing Cydia, Rock, Icy etc. without your permission is not illegal. Themeing apps and the springboard isn't illegal. Releasing the full potential of our device isn't illegal. It's our device, and we are free to do what we please with it, but you are stopping us from doing so by releasing new software updates, that really pisses me off. It's like owning a car and not being able to replace the radio in it with a new one.

What I am saying is what a lot of people are thinking. Stop acting childish, patching exploits that devs work hours on end to find, and listen to us and do what is right. We buy your overpriced devices, we want our moneysworth.

Thank you,
    Fionn Kelleher
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    "Stop fixing security issues in your own software".

There are far more people who do not want to/know/care about jailbreaking than those who do. Apple wants to make their products are streamlined and 'bulletproof' as they can for the vast majority of its users.
  3. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    If Apple weren't seen to be patching exploits and stopping us from jailbreaking, they would get much worse deals with carriers.
    1. Jailbreaking enables unlocking, carriers won't be happy
    2. Jailbreaking allows users to install cracked apps, which means that dev will not be happy. If it were that easy to exploit the system and install cracked apps it would surely drive many developers away, which means less money for Apple.
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    main problem which kills your base of argumentation:
    jailbreaking changes copyrighted software! To jailbreak we need to patch the kernel and remove the signature checks - THIS can be forbidden and claimed as illegal by apple since the kernel is THEIR piece of software. remember? the iPhone OS is not open source...
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Actually, we are the minority. I would say under 35%. But I have no proper statistics, nor do you. But we are not the majority.
  6. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No.

-Steve

Sent from my iPhone
  7. dragon52225

dragon52225 New Member

If you reverse engineer it and created the patch based off your own discoveries it is technically legal and exempt...
  8. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    it is opensource

http://www.opensource.apple.com/release/iphone-313/

research before you post.
  9. ibizaGTi

ibizaGTi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I remember reading somewhere (i *think* it may have been something from Jay Freeman, but i can't be sure) that <10% of devices running iPhone OS where jailbroken.

I can't remember the source for that though.

Also, i thought it had been agreed jailbreaking was not illegal, but did violate the EULA; the worst Apple can do to you for that is to not honour your manufacturers warrenty. Even then if you can prove it was a manufacturing fault you are entitled to a replacement by law (in the UK at least).
  10. Happyman7

Happyman7 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You don't need to worry about it being illegal. Apple tried & failed at that. (Thank Goodness)

And actually, most people jailbreak for themes, as it makes it more to the user's liking.