An easy fix for booting Android on the iPhone!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by timberwolf9, May 12, 2010.

1. timberwolf9

timberwolf9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    To sum up what happened: I had copied all the data to my iphone using ssh, but could NOT get openiboot to work at all! Then it hit me: Why not use DFU instead of Recovery, uhhhh major fail!

But all hope is not lost, as iHsn0w created one piece of awsome software! Google around for the download of iH8sn0w's iReb, it will make things soooooo much easier if you are on 3.1.3 trying to finish the installation of Android!

DO THIS: ->>>>>
    (1) Place the iphone in DFU
    (2) Hook the iphone upto a Windoze computer and run iReb and select iphone 2G.
    //if your trying for another device then select that device, for ipod touch 3G click 'ipod touch 2G' to get the white screen

Please Register or Log in to view images

But your on your own there//
    (3) Wait for the iphone to get a white screen!
    (4) Now unplug the iphone from the Windoze machine
    (5) Plug it into your Linux box which you are installing from
    (6) Run the openiboot installation as normal from your Linux box

EDIT4: Be careful not to choose install on openiboot unless you know how to restore a 'bricked' idevice. Also, if anyone would, try following these steps on a iphone running 3.1.2 and post back what happens

Now enjoy running android on your iphone, and reply back if this fixed your issues

------------------double post merged------------------
    OKAY! thats not good! for the sake of not having to do a restore, do NOT choose to 'install' openiboot; heedth my warning: "There is a bug somewhere that prevents the iphone from doin a boot once openiboot is installed, the end result is a restore, and a clean setup!

Edit2:
    I managed to get openiboot to come up on a ipod touch 3rd gen(uhhh oops, i mean 2nd gen, typing to fast), boot Android never booted... well not until a hard reset and using iReb again, but no getting past where it says "ANDROID" while booting, just seems to stop there...

Edit3: Just to cover myself: If you do any of what i have listed here, understand that you are doing so at your own risk, I will NOT be responsible for any damage, corruption, or bricking of anybodys' device. Understand this before you attempt to do anything with my tips! Cheers!
  2. timberwolf9

timberwolf9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Alright, after trying to work on this issue, my end result would end up being to restore 3.1.2 and see if everything works from there. The DFU trick for 3.1.3 works, but you cant install openiboot and you must re do the boot process to boot into Android...

Hopefully I can sorta find out what is happening and why openiboot cant be installed... and it may jus be my iphone, but anyhow this weekend I will try to downgrade and see what the effect is...

Also, if anyone has an idea as to why this is broken in 3.1.3 leave me a line, and yes I know the Spirit JB isnt a boot exploit! (Prolly why openiboot doesnt work at the moment...
  3. timberwolf9

timberwolf9 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Yet another follow up for this small project, since i now have a spair phone to use, hopefully i will be able to work alot more on getting somewhere with this project. My last go-round with openiboot resulted in one tweaked out iphone that kept doing weird sh*t until after two restores down the road.

Ok, just a reminder DO NOT install openiboot yet, unless a newer version has appeared, because your iDevice will be stuck in a DFU state and wont boot!

NOTE: I have not tried the new android images!

NOTE2: I downgraded to 3.1.2 but it made zero diff, i didnt install openiboot neither this time

NOTE3: Battery charge should b around 60% or higher so your iphone/ipod does NOT shutoff with openiboot running! Resulted in a restore