Am I the only one who wants a Verizon iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ihax_ipt, Feb 10, 2010.

1. ihax_ipt

ihax_ipt Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay. This has just really gotten to me. AT&T could possibly go down as the most expensive, useless mobile service ever created. I simply do not understand why Verizon won't agree with Apple to manufacture Verizon iPhones. Verizon is probably the most reliable mobile service out there, and the iPhone 3G dominates the competition for best phone. Although Android phones are right up there competing with iPhone OS, Verizon should have accepted the iPhone when it first came out. Apparently Apple's contract with AT&T was supposed to end sometime this year, I believe in April, (correct me if I'm wrong). Does anyone have more details on that? I have become so fed up with the absolute need to switch to AT&T to have an iPhone. (T-Mobile's quality and reliability is at the same level of AT&T in my opinion, for you unlockers that argue otherwise.)

Basically I'm ranting, but what are your guys thoughts on this? I want to know if any of you actually think AT&T is a good service. And keep in mind that if you do think that way, you may not be the one paying the phone bill.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'd love for some input, so please reply!
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Verizon could not have served the iPhone when it first came out, or since then, because its network is CDMA, as opposed to the worldwide standard GSM that the iPhone supports.

CDMA is really only prevalent in the US (and Verizon is supposedly switching its infrastructure to a GSM friendly 4G network in the near future).

Apple is not going to produce two different iPhones, as it is not cost-effective. Apple wouldn't benefit all that much from dropping AT&T exclusivity (considering AT&T pays $$$ for no competition). That, of course, is bad for consumers, but Apple doesn't care, as people will buy Apple products no matter what.

There was (is?) a movement in US Congress to classify cellphone exclusivity deals and lengthy contracts as anti-competitive (which they are). It obviously hasn't gotten too far yet, and with the power of corporate lobbies, I doubt we'll see anything legitimately effective in the future.

One can hope...

/edit: It's not like you would save money on Verizon. It's all expensive. The only legit reason is sh*tty AT&T coverage in your area, like NYC, LA +Santa Monica (I could hardly get a decent EDGE connection out there). Luckily, AT&T coverage is excellent where I live.
  3. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    AT&T works fine for me where I live. Way back when in '07 Apple did go to Verizon first and they said no because they thought it was to expensive for consumers (correct me if I'm wrong) so they didn't take it.

About the thread title: No. Have you not read any threads before? There are so many about people complaining about AT&T and how the iPhone isn't on Verizon.
  4. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Lol, only person who wants it on Verizon? Are you kidding? Have you not searched around the forums, or even Googled it?

I hate AT&T, but I still usually have about 4-5 bars of 3G everywhere I go, so it doesn't bother me as much as it would people in places with sh*tty coverage.
  5. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I completely agree, why won't Apple share? If they want more money then they would want that. Verizon is amazing, and those AT&T commercials hating on Verizon need to stop. I think AT&T is just jealous of Verizons better service. Also have you noticed if you type "att" on your iPod, auto-correction fixes it to AT&T? But if you type "verizon" it stays as "verizon". Also, besides the iPhone, Verizon has way better phones. Lastly an iPhone runs better on Americas most reliable network, not fastest. Seriously Apple?
  6. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    1. Did you not read my post detailing why there is no Verizon iPhone (yet)? It's not Apple's "fault".

2. Verizon and AT&T both negatively advertise (read: hate on) each other.

3. "Most reliable" is a bullsh*t slogan—unverifiable and irrelevant to the same degree as "The network with the fewest dropped calls" (AT&T)

Not to defend either Verizon or AT&T, but let's get our facts straight.
  7. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Lol, you didn't read Axis' post at all, did you?
  8. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    And yet "Most fastest" isn't?
  9. Chi Town King

Chi Town King New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, First of all. Sprint and Verizon Use an outdated service Called CDMA. Which is much shorter range than GSM-(AT&T T-MOBILE, Cricket, BOOST, VIRGIN) and Data rates are limited because of that. Besides that, I have AT&T and it is the most reliiable service provide out there. Granted I don't have an iphone, but i do have an LG Xenon snd I am always impessed with the 3G coverage I have. Verizon is not equiped with HSUPA (High speed upling packet access) Data they Have EvDO.
  10. Axis

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Is that AT&T's slogan? It goes to show I don't care about corporate slogans, as they are have little relevance. Most of them /are/ bullsh*t, for example: I can start a meat-packing company and refer to it as "America's #1 Meat-Packing Company". What does that mean? Nothing. #1 in quality? #1 in worker exploitation? #1 in animal brutality?

I don't know why you are being so pedantic about slogans, of all things. As I said before, I'm not defending either company; I'm clarifying the important stuff, like why at this point in time, there /cannot/ be a Verizon iPhone.