Always connect to same wifi network

Discussion in 'Mobile Web Development' started by sparky03, Feb 21, 2008.

1. sparky03

sparky03 New Member

Hello,

I work at a museum and we are trying to develop a program where we use the iPod Touch as an interactive tour device. The one thing I was wondering is if it is possible to have the iPod Touch stay connect to one designated wifi network. There are several connections in our vicinity, including a really bad free network, and I would prefer to utilize the museum's wifi. Is this possible at all? I'm not too knowledgeable on networks. If I have a static IP set up for a network, would it default to that?

Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

Sparky03
  2. blackjak231

blackjak231 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    if I was you, I would probably contact apple to ask. They will probably do something to the firmware if they do something like that, but try to call apple and ask if they can do what they did with the classic with the touch!
  3. birkett

birkett New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The iPod should stay connected to the same network until you move out of range. It would then ask for you to connect to another network upon entering the web browser.
  4. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well one way to do it is on the Wi-Fi screen where you turn it on, click the "ask to join networks" and turn it on, then if you get another network, just say no, and it will stay on your museums network.

By the way which museum??

I think Tis rather nice to work there.

[{(edit)}]

sorry birkett as i was typing you beat me to it!! LOL
  5. sparky03

sparky03 New Member

Yeah I'm pretty fortunate that they see the importance of the latest handheld technology. Thanks for all the comments! The museum is the San Jose Museum of Art and the current prototype is at www.sjmusart.org/iphone. I want to add the sliding panels technique still.

I'm still curious about the static IP.

Best,

Sparky03
  6. bjlock

bjlock Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    under wifi settings just turn off "ask to join networks" and thatll work
  7. Gengawa

Gengawa New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi

In my opinion it's a great idea to use the iPod Touch as an interactive tour device.

According to blackjak231, just contact Aplle and explain your idea. They oughta help you. Why? It's a serious advert of their products. Probably they will require putting their logos, sticks etc. everywhere (on iPods, cases), but it seems really good

Please Register or Log in to view images