alternatives to itunes?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by drstein, Oct 20, 2008.

1. drstein

drstein New Member

hello all,

I have had my new ipod touch for little over 2 weeks and I already hate to death the silly itunes.

I was wondering if there is another software to manager uploading songs/videos/images/etc to the touch...I normally used winamp with my old shuffle, but it seems it can't be done anymore

Thanks anyway
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

3. drstein

drstein New Member

I did

It does not allow you to manage WMA files (I need to convert 20GB of music, wtf?), it does not allow you to have more than MP3 player (a family with one computer, wtf?), it does not allow you to manage the same player from different computers (office and home, wtf?), it does not allow you to have more than 5 registered computers (at least generous number, but why not?), does not convert videos (only MP4 wtf?), and a huuuge longer list

Those are even restrictions that are somehow on purpose (cant understand why, but whatever). Then it has some unforgivable errors as high processing cost (the computer slows down when I turn it on), ask for credit card confirmation to download free touch applications (yeah, need to confirm every damn time), errors of an application not being installable when it actually is (air sharing),...

My favourite bug is the "manage library automaticately" feature: it just tries to put my 100gb of music into my mp3 player. Since there is not enough space it asks " do you want to remove the 1mega of images in your ipod so I can fit all your music in your touch?" can't you simply compare sizes of my music library and the player capacity before asking silly questions?

is that just the tip of the iceberg of me not liking itunes....so yes, I a m looking for an alternative (note that none of those errors come in winamp, a music player created over 15 years ago)
  4. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    um, scuse me
    those statements are totally false
    just right click on a music file and select "convert to MP3"
    for videos its just right click and "convert to MP4"

it does allow you to have multiple devices synced to one computer
    i don't' know why you'd think you can't, and if you mean it doesn't allow you to put different songs and stuff on different devices, then select the device on the side bar and check the box "manually manage music and videos"
    eezie peezie
    it DOES allow you to manage the same device from multiple computers
    but you must set up an itunes account to do this so that you can register all your computers (limit of 4 or maybe 5) on the same account, this allows your ipod acces to all the computers itunes libraries
    and the limit on the number of computers should be obvious
    apple doesn't want people sharing music, which is perfectly reasonable and understandable
    they don't want you getting music from someone else's comp and 4 or 5 computers is most likely all a family will own, so it smartly limits your ipod to libraries within the familie's computers
    obviously you haven't had much experience with itunes, so i would suggest spending a bit more time playing with it and its settings before whining about this stuff

EDIT: even if you have the "manually manage music and videos" box checked, you can still end up syncing everything if you click on the music/videos/photos/etc.. tabs at the top of the device page, it will give you options to sync certain things or all things. it seems that you have "sync everything" selected and that must be the problem
    itunes is a very dependable program and apple wouldn't make it as frustrating as you claim it to be
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You and Microsoft are to blame for that. You had every opportunity to convert or rip to MP3.

It most certainly does. Make sure to check the following:

Please Register or Log in to view images

That is the fault of DRM (Digital Rights Management). You can thank the RIAA, MPAA, and the DMCA for that.

MP4 is nearly the most universal format accepted for any media player on the Market. If you want to convert to other, more inefficient formats (WMV, RMVB *COUGH*) You can do so with other Apps. iTunes is meant to convert to what is best for it's Media Player (iPod/iPhone). It is not designed to help other devices.

That is because it was not DESIGNED for Windows. It was designed for Mac. They had to nearly rewrite everything to make it work for Windows.

You do NOT need a Credit Card to create an iTunes account whatsoever. There are many ways to create an account. And you can redeem iTunes Gift Cards to buy Applications.

Its called a PLAYLIST. Ever thought of using it?

My advice to you. GET A ZUNE. I don't know what in the hell you are doing with an iPod Touch since most of your Media is fit perfectly for a ZUNE.
  6. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    pwned.
  7. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well done tes
  8. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    iTunes is one of the best media managers I ever used (other than the technial things with the lock on the music and stuff like that). I dont know why people need to complain. you should of used it first before you out 20GB of protected music on it. and, wtf do you want in a media manager? You can have all your songs from CDs, and it has the best store of them all...just get a classic and stop complaining
  9. allenmehrer

allenmehrer Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so no good itunes alternative? bummer, itunes is a resource killer on some older machines
  10. JohnnyAndroid

JohnnyAndroid Active Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    All that is right. But again, you don't have to talk in such a tone.

Thanks!

Please Register or Log in to view images