Alternative to QuickPwn Instructions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by jasonc23, Oct 26, 2008.

1. jasonc23

jasonc23 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I've been trying QuickPwn instructions to enter my iPod into DFU mode with no success. Insted of Home then home and power then home or something can I just hold power and home for 10ish seconds then let go of power?

Thanks
  2. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How to get into DFU mode:

Make sure your device is plugged into a computer with iTunes running.
    Turn off your device.
    Wait 5 seconds.
    Hold home and power for 10 seconds.
    Let go of power (but still hold home), and wait for 10 seconds.
    iTunes should say your device is in recovery mode, but your device's screen should be completely black.

Congrats. You did it.
  3. jasonc23

jasonc23 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Can you connect to QuickPwn like that?
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

No. QuickPwn won't recognize the iPod in DFU mode, and it has to kick it into Recovery Mode to upload some code to the iPod before it goes DFU, IIRC. If you're having problems with this, either a) learn to count slower, or b) get someone else who can count slower to do it for you. During the DFU mode part, hold down Home until the iPod's screen changes and shows the upload is in the progress, but make sure to let go of the Power/Sleep button after the count of 10 or 11.
  5. jasonc23

jasonc23 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I'm having problems when it's telling me the timings on the computer. So I have the timing right at that part. Does my iPod need to be in any state before I start quickpwn?
  6. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Step 1) iPod is in Normal state when plugged into PC. iTunes will recognize it.

Step 2) Run QuickPwn. Pick the iPod Touch as the type of device, then let it find the firmware, which usually is in the iPod Software Updates folder.

Step 3) It'll ask you to pick the options you want (custom boot logos, Install Cydia, Install Installer). Select, click the arrow to continue.

Step 4) At this point, it'll kick the iPod into recovery mode by itself. Then it'll ask you to hold down home and Power until the iPod shuts off. Count to ten (one-onethousand, two-onethousand) and let go of Power. Keep holding Home down until the program continues and uploads the jailbreak. At this point the iPod screen will turn on and show a progress bar.

Step 5) Wait for jailbreak to finish. Once the iPod resets, you can close QuickPwn and you should have the Cydia and/or Installer logos after unlocking the iPod.

If this isn't clear enough, look at the 'jailbreaking 2.1/2.0' guides.