Alternative to FWchanger?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by PattyPod, Nov 19, 2008.

1. PattyPod

PattyPod New Member

Hey there folks! First post so please correct me if i'm wrong here!

I've playing with jail breaking and did ok last night, spent hours getting the iron man theme and NES emulator installed. Was looking great till i booted up the ipod this morning and got this error -

Single user boot -- fsck not done
    Root device is mounted read only

if you want to make modifications to files:

/sbin/fsck - fy
    / sbin/mount - uw

If you wish to boot the system:
    exit

Nobody knows a way to fix this that i've come across, you have to restore. So i've done this and lost my hard work. Whatever, life goes on, I jail broke again today and started re-installing everything and just as a test part way through i turned it off and on. Same error.

This time i've jail broken and i have been turning it off and on after installing each app to figure out what was causing the error. It looks like to me it is FWchanger. This is unfortunate as i'm on 1.1.5 and (as far as i know) i need this to get apps like summerboard. I get the error after i switch firmware to 1.1.4. I tried switching it back to 1.1.5 after installing the app, same old stuff. (for the record other people have reported the error after installing other apps, this is just my guess)

Anyways! Anybody know if there is a different way to change the firmware like FWchanger does? I tried Tweaks but i can't get it to download. I'm real new at this and would really like to be able to get the touch as nice as i had it last night!

I assume there might be some way to use SSH to do this stuff, but i'm a newbie and not overly confident with it yet.

Any help is REALLY appreciated.

and btw this place is a goldmine, i've learned more here then anywhere else

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

Just update to 2.1 and jailbreak thay. Much better.
  3. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Reminds me of the message I got when I messed up my iPod on 1.1.4........

Please Register or Log in to view images

I ended up giving up trying to fix it, and just re-jailbroke to 2.1. It was a pain getting everything set back up - but once I did, everything is working again.

Good luck!
  4. PattyPod

PattyPod New Member

thanks guys I'll get cracking on that tonight!
  5. lucaweber

lucaweber New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)