Alright, this may sound stupid, but please bear with me...

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by SereneOne, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SereneOne

SereneOne New Member

Alright, to start, I am what you would commonly call, an idiot. I dont really understand any of this. Ive read through the stickys and they havnt been all that helpful. I know you need to first jailbreak your iPod (I have an iPod touch). Ive done this. I know you need SSH on your iPod. Ive gotten in. But I dont know what SSH program to put on my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, when I go to the installer, there is virtually nothing that can be downloaded. (Im on 1.1.1). Last night, I went to jailbreakme.com, and there was WAY more that I could get from the installer. I suffered the 300mb issue and reset my iPod though. Trying to get more options for download, under sources, I added the allipod source, and downloaded the option to install all of the included sources. I still have virtually no options for download.

So, can anyone suggest a FREE SSH program for my PC to send the applications to my iPod?

How can I get more downloads on my iPod?

How do i download applications onto the PC to send with SSH?

I know there are a lot of stickies out there, and ive read them, but cannot make any sense of them, as I dont have a base knowledge of what exactly im doing here to begin with. Yes, ive read the sticky "Way Too Frequently Asked Questions". I know these issues were addresed in a link provided in that post, but that link is broken.
  2. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Try the program winSCP. Its a free and easy to use SSH program. ( for your computer).
  3. ag11hockey

ag11hockey New Member

go to youtube and look up any videos by ipodtouchmaster... he is one of the most common people on there and he has a bunch of videos. click the one that is labeled how to use Cute FTP and where to get it or something like that... thats the program i use.. there is also alot more people on there that can help you out and tere is other programs too. good luck
  4. iTouch532

iTouch532 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch

PM Me I'll send you the WinSCP tru email, I have it
  5. skinnny101

skinnny101 New Member

WinSCP is a free program. No need to send it, just go onto google and type ing "download winscp" and the first link that pops up should be fine.

Get the IP by going onto your ipod and in wi-fi settings it will be there. Username is root and password is Alpine. And obviously your ipod will need to be connected to your wifi and be turned on (if it is plugged in it is ok for it to go to sleep because it will leave the wifi on but if it is not plugged into your computer make sure it doesn't go to sleep because it will automaticaly turn off wifi to save battery).
  6. jakaraka

jakaraka Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alternatively you can use iPhoneBrowser... its a wired version (ie via usb) and I sometimes prefer it, though I have probably only ever connected to my ipod this way to add wallpapers and the iPhone applications.

To get more applications to show on installer take another look at the stickys:
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8180

will show you the "ultimate source" thread and adding the source to your installer will add other sources and you should find a world of applications to use!
  7. NormNConquest

NormNConquest New Member

Not stupid at all

I'd like to commend the original poster as an exceptionally smart board member and an example to others.

The poster has clearly done his/her homework and is asking (not demanding) help having hit a dead end.

That's a refreshing change from the losers who insist that they've followed instructions perfectly, and blame contributors here when they get a bad result.