All this stuff about SSH

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by sman789, Sep 18, 2010.

1. sman789

sman789 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I have wondered for a long time, ever since I started using iFunBox, why anyone would ever use SSH (aside from when setting permissions). When people are explaining how to transfer themes it's always "SSH into this... SSH this to your iPod... Get an SSH client". SSH is slow, usually takes several attempts to connect, requires a Wi-Fi connection and leaves a security vulnerability in your device. It is far less convenient than just loading iFunbox on a cable connected device. My question is why there is so much publicity about SSH when it is one of the worst methods: even the top sticky topic in this forum says that you "need" SSH in order to put themes on your iPod which aren't in Cydia - which actually aught to be fixed because it is untrue.
  2. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Time To Battle !

Please Register or Log in to view images

People SSH other things than themes. Like OSes for Bochs 4.

SSH is never slow with me, i get a decent transfer speed.

I can connect on the first attempt. SSH has to be ON in order to connect, you know

Tunneling. No WiFi, just tunnel.

Topic was written before anyone even gave much of a hell about iFunBox [ i know about it and still don't ].

Security vulnerability ? its a Secure File Transfer Protocol [SFTP] for a reason

3. sman789

sman789 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    By security vulnerability, I meant certain viruses which exploit the fact that many SSH users leave the default password as Alpine. Especially when changing that password is quite a faff itself, you (at least used to) have to get a terminal and start messing with root passwords.

As for speed, it is ok for transfer of small files, but you can't really deny that a cable connection is significantly faster. It becomes even worse when you try to transfer a large number of small files as oppose to one big one.

Connection problems are, at least for many people, common with SSH - many guides even instruct you to try several times if it doesn't work at first.

My main issue with it is the sheer complexity for an inexperienced user. It's not a huge problem for me specifically; I can set up an SSH connection with ease. But the fact that you have to download a different program for your PC and your iPod, then set up IP addresses and user names and passwords... it makes the whole process seem a lot worse then it has to be. It's offputting, is how I would describe it, and it's one of those things that puts people off going anywhere near that sort of thing. Like a few years ago when to do anything useful in Ubuntu you had to start faffing with the terminal. Just seems that now we have new and better methods of doing things, we should be advertising them more. I'm certainly glad that I found iFunBox when I did, saved me a lot of time and effort. Not that iFunBox is the only program though, there are many that do similar things.
  4. Imariel

Imariel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm pretty sure Cydia (or was it Rock?) showed a pop-up at some point that said your password was alpine and asked if you wanted to change it - you type in the new password and it's all set.
  5. ThePodofi

ThePodofi Well-Known Member

you can make your own password
  6. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    SSH thru cable, I always say this because, most people know what you are refering to, you can do it ayway you want, as long as it gets there I guess.

A fun trick

Dwnld mobileterminal 426b

MOBILE PASSWD
    open
    passwd
    (change password to whatever you want)supercalafragilamo

ROOT PASSWD
    su
    alpine
    passwod
    (change password)qwertyuiop
  7. sman789

sman789 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    ...imagine if you were just an average iPhone user reading that last post.
  8. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I am young and avid, possibly average, but...never mind.

Look at it this way, through a series of dialouges

Me:careful, this is my only usb port on my computer
    Friend: OK."Starts soldering loads of solder on my usb for no reason."
    Me:why are you soldering it? get it off, hurry!
    Friend:"starts brazing usb"
    Me: You just F88ked my Usb port.
    Friend: "Leaves"

Me: Oh no Now I cannot use iPhonebrowser to usb into my ipod and and Ic an only charge in my wall charger and I have to ssh, wah wah.

That didn't make sence but yes, that is why people would ssh.
  9. picklejw

picklejw Member

Device:
    iPad
    SSH is secure, maybe that's why SSH stands for Secure SHell... Anyway it if your responsibility to make your device secure. Just like setting a good password for your email account. I rely on SSH for a few things, one which I transfer files using sftp (same protocol as SSH just for transphering files) if you have a problem with it uninstall openSSH in Cydia, that simple.
  10. sman789

sman789 Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Yes, it is the user's responsibility to ensure that things like this are secure - and there are some situations (like broken USB ports or when advanced terminal or privilege stuff has to be done) where SSH is very useful. I'm just saying that for first-time users - which is who you would guess most of the tutorials are aimed at - it's not the best method.

People seem to be misunderstanding the purpose of this topic as some rant against why SSH sucks. I know it doesn't suck - I've used it a lot - I'm just recommending that in tutorials which don't require the extra SSH functionality, there is no need to include it over other, easier, methods of file-transfer. Most people who see a tutorial which tells them how to SSH into their iPhone to install something will spend ages downloading the SSH client, and then forget to remove it or change their password, and in doing so leave their device open to attack as well as having another, unneded, program on it using resources.

Don't forget that whilst most of you (and me) consider SSH to be simple - for a lot of people it's an advanced feature which takes a bit of understanding, especially for people who aren't naturally techno-savvy.