[All New Questions] Battery issue, apple store

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JeffS, Apr 21, 2008.

1. JeffS

JeffS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    question regarding battery issue and apple store.

To start off, don't flame for not searching as I have searched and read all posts regarding apple swapping out ipods for battery problems. I didn't find answers to these questions, but I also didn't find them being asked either. I plan on taking mine back for a warranty swap in the next week or so, as it's starting to get quite annoying how short it's lasting.

I do have a couple of questions however before I go, and would appreciate some advice.

I've got a 16gig that I picked up back in October. The battery is only holding a charge for about half a day before being down at the 10-20% mark and flashing warnings. This is even if I use it as a music player for a few hours, not bother with web surfing or playing games on it. Since it's rated for 22 hours, I'm thinking that 4-5 hours of music (not video) is a bit shy of the mark, and means the battery is likely toast.

Question A: Is this something that Apple would just swap on spot for if I took it in?

I've got the original box in mint condition, along with the cable, dock adapter, cloth, and paperwork. I can't find the stand, which I never used, but must have put somewhere I obviously never look.

Question B: Should I bring these with me, or would that just look too obvious that I was hoping for a swap-out?

I've had a feew issues with iTunes not picking up that my iPod is attached even though the computer beeped that a device was connected. Since it was usually back to normal after a reboot, or two (yeah two), I figured this was more an issue with my computer and XP being a pain and not playing nicely with iTunes.

Question C: Is this something worth mentioning that would aid in getting a swap-out?

Question D: Do they replace the units with new or refurb models? I don't mind refurb, the refurb electronics I've had in the past have a tendency to fair better than the new ones a lot of times.

Question E: Would they allow me to "trade up" and pay an extra hundred (or whatever the price difference is) to get a 32gig back instead of my 16 gig model?

Thanks for any help and advice, I hope I haven't restated questions that have been beaten to death. Oh, and sorry for bringing up a topic that has been beaten to death.

-Jeff
  2. dabomb1022

dabomb1022 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    they give you a new one usaually
  3. mikesgroove

mikesgroove New Member

Actually, unless you're within the 14-day grace period, you aren't going to get a new one. You get a refurb. I just got one today, in fact. Don't worry about getting a refurb. There isn't even the tiniest scratch on the back of the one I just got, it is in pristine condition.

Anyway, I'd be willing to bet you'll get it swapped out, given the condition your battery seems to be in. The number one rule to follow is to BE POLITE. Don't act like some spoiled brat that feels entitled to the world. Treat the Genius with respect, and they shall treat you with the same. I have had nothing but amazing experiences with my Local Genius Bar. I've gotten an out-of-warranty battery replacement for my macbook, I've had 2 dead/stuck pixel issue on different Touches and gotten them both replaced. In fact, the first time they actually gave me a new one after the 14-day period, but it was only a little more than 3 weeks. That isn't the norm.

It also doesn't hurt to not dress like a slob when you go in. Like it or not, people judge you based on your appearance. Be confident and stick to your guns, but don't be a dick. The absolutely most important thing is to BE POLITE.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. JeffS

JeffS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Polite to customer service people I do know; I spent enough years on the other side of the fence.
    My main thought is whether or not to bring the extra stuff (box, accessories, etc) with me hoping for a quick clean swap. Also what the opinions are on being able to "trade up" to a 32gig

-Jeff
  5. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

i would like to know how yours goes. i have a 16gb and i want to upgrade to a 32 gb. and my battery is also dying *wink wink*