All my old mp3's what do i do with them

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 1niceipod, Jan 10, 2008.

1. 1niceipod

1niceipod New Member

2nd post and i searched the net as well as here and i did not find -

my question is before i got my ipod i had almost 3000 mps in a folder on my computer. How do i go about getting these on my ipod touch now? do i just drag and drop to itunes (which i dont like) or ftp them to a music folder on my ipod?

any help is appreciated
  2. Eragon

Eragon New Member

If you have a PC, set up an Orb account and stream the files from the folder to your device.
  3. 1niceipod

1niceipod New Member

Okay so thats like an FTP then but i have access to my music from anywhere
  4. themes

themes New Member

Goto the first music file and highlight it, than hold shift and goto the last one. They will all be selected and than you can just drag them all in

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope it helped.
  5. CoolMe

CoolMe New Member

Whats wrong with clicking and dragging them into Itunes? *confused face*
  6. 1niceipod

1niceipod New Member

thats what im asking

i mean on my archos 6000 (no flames please) all you had to do was drag the music to a folder and it was there. so being new to this ipod thing ive come up with what i think is right and correct me if im wrong thats how i learn

1. you drag your music into itunes
    2. it then syncs to the ipod and somehow converts to ipod usable format

but

1. if i set the ipod to be used as a harddrive
    2. i can then make a or use existing folder for the mp3 files i had before and drag them to that folder and thus have all my music on the ipod without having itunes involved.

so am i close?

i really dont need sync capabilities ,or a libray full of mp3's or even organization just a simple user interface to move music back and forth from place to place is fine with me.
  7. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    just dump them into itunes and sync. Why would you not do that? I dumped my 20GB+ music library (a hearty mix of self-ripped CDs and Amazon.com DRM free, wonderful mp3s) into itunes, made myself a playlist that syncs to the ipod touch, and move music I want on the ipod touch into the playlist. Then sync away.
  8. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The iPhone/iPoT do not have disk mode, and even if they did (like earlier iPods) you can't just drag MP3s to them. iPods have a specific directory and database structure that keeps track of accounting (times played, last played, most played, song ratings, etc.) and song settings (EQ settings, genres, playlists, links to associated album art in a separate database, etc.). You need iTunes to sync. For earlier iPods and the Classic/Nano series that have disk mode, you can use a third party application such as Floola, which is an iTunes alternative and is portable (so it can be stored and run right on the iPod) but no such thing exists for the iPhone/Touch due to those being a completely different system and currently having no disk mode available.
  9. 1niceipod

1niceipod New Member

thats great to know im slowly starting to understand it all. Its hard being the new guy.The reason i said i didnt want itunes involved or sync is because of all the bad things i hear about losing mp3 files and moving from one computer to the next but thats a small thing i can overlook as long as i have a backup of the files put away.
  10. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

For what it's worth I haven't lost a thing in iTunes. I've had to redo my iPod Video twice due to some screwup but I learned how to minimize the work involved in restoring.

Do yourself a favour:

1. Keep your ID3 tags very well groomed. Enter every major piece of information you can find into the tags. (Artist name, album name, year, genre, track numbers, etc.). This will be a life saver for my next point:

2. Create Smart Playlists. If anything ever goes south and you have to restore your iPod, smart playlists will save you three and a half assloads of pain -- but they only work if you keep your ID3 tags well groomed.

Follow those two steps and your life with iTunes and your iPod will be made infinitely easier to manage.