All my music is gone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kazenra, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Kazenra

Kazenra New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay forgive me if I've posted in the wrong place, I'm new and I just spent 20 minutes figuring out how to even post a thread

Please Register or Log in to view images

My problem is that all of my music has gone from my itouch 3G, but when I plugged it into my comp it shows all of my playlists and stuff under my ipod in itunes. And when It syncs the music folder remains empty on my ipod :/
    My ipod crashed or something about a week ago, it wouldn't turn on till I plugged it in and I didn't realise anything was wrong because last time I played my music it was from my computer so I'm wondering if it broke then or something.

Apple support is useless to me, I can't find what I need and I'm not going to ring up a premium rate number to find out I'll have to restore my ipod anyway. I just want to fix this without restoring because even if I do do that it might happen again

2. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Pretty sure a restore would fix it. I know it's not what you wanted to hear, but true.
  3. Kazenra

Kazenra New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Yeah I was starting to think think that was my only option. I'm off travelling Monday so I kinda need y music very soon, thanks anyway

if everything is backed up all my playlists will be restored right? And all my purchases?
  4. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Yes, it will put it back on the device in the restore process I believe.
  5. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Yeah it will ask to restore from a backup (after it has reinstalled the OS) just select the latest one and your right to go.
  6. Kazenra

Kazenra New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay thanks, the thought of restoring made me nervous so reassurance is nice, I'll sort it out today ^_^
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Lol I'm the proud owner of a brick. Off to the Apple store with my boyfriend next week then -,-
  7. coolzhu

coolzhu New Member

did you use a different computer to sync? have to the same computer or everything will get wiped.
  8. Kazenra

Kazenra New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    All I ever use is my laptop, it's where I backed up my stuff. I got number 6 error after it restored so it failed or something

checked my itunes, checked my internet connection, restarted my lappy, haven't tried anything else apple suggested. I dunno ><
  9. PackerEagles10

PackerEagles10 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Basically it sounds like the iPod database has become damaged or corrupted, so the iPod can't find the music even though the files are still there.

Start by connecting your iPod into your computer without syncing it to iTunes (either don't let iTunes start, as Goldcoaster suggests, or just hold down SHIFT+CTRL if iTunes is running to prevent the autosync from running -- you'll need to hold it until you see your iPod appear in the iTunes source list).

Once the iPod is connected, you can find the music and other media files in the \iPod_Control\Music directory on the iPod by accessing it through Windows Explorer. \iPod_Control is a hidden directory, so you will need to go to Tools->Folder Options (in Windows Explorer) and turn on the option to "Show Hidden and System Files and Folders".

Once you can see the \iPod_Control directory, just copy the entire "Music" directory back to your hard drive. The sub-directories won't be organized in any way that would make sense to a human, but all of the files are there and the internal ID3 tags are intact.

Once you've copied them back to your hard drive, you can reimport them into iTunes and it will sort them out for you based on the tags. You can then do a "Restore" on the iPod and reload it from iTunes.
  10. Kazenra

Kazenra New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I would try that, but I already attempted to restore it and that failed, it's empty now and it wont restore without an error coming up again.