iPhone 3G All about iphone 3G plans with rogers and Fido!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheConqueror, Jul 14, 2008.

1. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Ok guys so for all the people who live in canada out there, i am compiling a guide of options you can choose if you want to pick up an iphone 3G

Now if you are a new customer you are eligible for the 199$ price, if you take the iPhone plan. If you are not a new customer, or you do not take a voice plan of more then 30$, the iPhone will be costing 50$ more, at 249$ for the 8GB model ,and 349$ for the 16GB model

Your Contract Options

Option 1) Ok well the basic plan is about 60$, and for that money you get a pathetic 400mb of data, and 150 minutes, as well as unlimited weekends and evenings (Evenings start after 7pm for Fido, and after 9pm for rogers).

Pros: You are eligible for the 199$ price if you are a new customer.
    Cons: Expensive, low amount of minutes, etc.

Option 2)Now another option you have is taking just a voice plan with the iphone 3G,but that is very risky and stupid as then you will be crippling the iphone, and also being on pay as you go which is VERY risky.

Pros: No need for data plan, lowers cost to cost of data plan.
    Cons: Data uses pay as you go, costing you 5C/kb , meaning you have to pay around 10$ if you accidentally open a page using 3G, Makes iphone crippled and not working to its full potential (Duh its called iphone 3G because it needs 3G!). No GPS if not in a wi-fi hotspot.

Option 3) The next option is probably by far better then option 1 and 2. It combines two plans together. You get your voice plan that you want and then along with it the limited time offer promotional plan, which you get 6GB FOR ONLY 30$!!! . This allows you to get maximum potential out of your iphone, and use 3G almost completely without thinking of running out of data, because 6GB, well my guess is that you can open around 10,000 web pages!

Pros: LOTS of data, iphone can go to its full potential, never worry about running out of data, can be customized to your needs (IE more minutes).
    Cons: You MIGHT have to pay the 249$ price instead of the 199$ if you are not a new customer, but different terms apply.

Option 4) This option is for a kind of "Family" plan. Now you must understand with both Fido AND Rogers, there is a limit of 2 iPhones per account. Also you have to get separate data plans, so you have one voice plan and two data plans, all adding into one bill. For example a voice plan of 30$ and two 6GB data plans for 60$ ends up in 90$. You have to share the minutes though "obviously"

Pros: Good for people who want two iphones or want to share one with a partner. Good amount of data.
    Cons: Kind of expensive if you add more minutes (you need a lot of minutes since you are going to share).

Thanks you for reading, post if any information is false. Hope this helps you with your purchase of the new iPhone 3G!

*Note* Additional items can be added to the plans (IE the iPhone Value Pack)

*iPhone shipping details*

Friday, July 11th - First shipment arrive, all sold out. In EVERY store, both Rogers, Fido, Wireless wave and every other iPhone 3G provider

Saturday, July 12th - No new shipment, estimated arrival time Monday.

Sunday, July 13th- same as above ^

Monday, July 14th - No new shipment

Tuesday July 15th - No new shipment, Rumours of new shipment in Rogers store on centrepoint

Wednesday, July 16th - Fido got new iphone shipment, wireless wave got small amount (around 3), no word on Rogers

Thursday, July 17th - No new shipments

Well im not checking anymore on the new shipments, but they should be here sometime this week
  2. Noons

Noons New Member

Voice-Only

Great post, this would have been helpful for me before the launch day. I was looking for something like this for awhile...

I recently bought an iPhone 3G from Rogers. I signed up for a simple my5 talk plan ($20) and added the $15 iPhone Value Pack (2500 texts, call display, who called, visual voicemail ect.) All in all my plan racks up to a good $45 a month, although I did have to pay $249.99 for my 8GB iPhone. I understand your concern about so called "crippling" the iPhone, but in my opinion it is not stupid when you're saving money. To get the "full" (GPS, Internet everywhere and so on) usage without paying outrageous fees, you should obviously consider a data plan. At my work, school and home I am surrounded by Wi-Fi, so I am extremely happy without a data plan. It all depends on what your needs are with the iPhone.

TIP! If you have signed with either Rogers or Fido with a Voice-Only plan (and plan on using Wi-Fi only), please for the sake of your wallet, call in and block your EDGE/3G service. Simply ask, "I would like to block my internet service on my phone." This will save you from accidently racking up a $1000 dollar bill. Rogers is perfectly fine with doing this for you, and don't let them tell you they can't.

Last thing, I was told by a rogers employee if you sign up without a data plan Apple plans on stipping your device of it's Wi-Fi after three months. Not only do I think this is a threat to make you get data, I think it's bullsh*t. Anyone else here this nonsense?
  3. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

Lol i just personally think its called 3G for a reason

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Plus we should be happy we didn't get stuck with the crappy 400mb! Hope everyone enjoyed this guide

4. kikedesign

kikedesign New Member

Fido customer

I have a contract with Fido and it will expire in february 2010..

Friday, they told me to wait until December 2008......Monday I talked with Customer Relations and they said I will need to call after july 26th...because many of FIDO customers are frustrated (like me) because we couldn't have the iphone, even for 349$....

they are thinking what will be the best solution for us...
  5. omaralikhan92

omaralikhan92 New Member

With whom must I speak cancel all internet service on the iphone?
  6. TheConqueror

TheConqueror New Member

ask your service provider
  7. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard about the iPhone so far.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I have a buddy who has been with Fido a long time. He got the iPhone and was able to grandfather in his old Fido plan. He has a sweet deal, unlimted data, 1000 anytime minutes, free evenings+weekends for $90.
  8. potroast32

potroast32 Banned

very helpful I was wondering about some of these things and @noons loove the avatar