Alcohal wiped, damage the screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by adamgalas, Sep 13, 2008.

1. adamgalas

adamgalas New Member

I checked with my local Apple store and the guy there told me that useing the same alcohal based wipes I use for my glasses might damage the screen. Is this true? Or was he just trying to sell me the alcohal, ammonia free wipes they had in the store? They cost $15/ a box of 20. Perhaps I could find some alcohal, ammonia free wiped on amazon. That's where I get my current Zeiss wiped, 180 for $15 with free shipping. Hopefully they work as well as my current ones and are as affordable.
  2. craigstephen420

craigstephen420 New Member

Why would anyone need to use anything other than their t-shirt or the cleaning cloth to clean the screen? Its a scratch proof screen that get finger oil on it. Breathing on it and wiping it with a t-shirt or the cleaning cloth works perfectly, ridding the screen of any and all marks.
  3. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I agree. I dont see any reason to use anything other then the supplied cloth to wipe off your screen.
  4. adamgalas

adamgalas New Member

Because the cloth Apple supplied only moves the smudges around, making the screen dirtier. Alcohal wipes actually remove the smudges and oils and then evaporate in seconds without streaking, resulting in a screen that is like new.
  5. craigstephen420

Which is why you breath on it, to give it just enough moisture to rid itself of the oil, but not enough to damage it. By the way, when I say breath on it, I mean blow hot air on it.
  6. adamgalas

adamgalas New Member

breath won't get rid of oils, because your breath contains water vapor. Water and oil are immiscible, so it will only spread the oil around. Alcohal works because the non polar portion of the molecule binds with the non polar portions of the oils and that is why alcohal wipes work.

But no one has yet answered my original question. Will useing an alcohal wipe hurt the screen?
  7. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    its like windex on a plasma screen tv at first no but it will eventually take off the scratch resistant covering on the ipod
  8. craigstephen420

Wow!!! Particles, and immiscible and polar portions? Man, your pretty smart, yet can't spell alcohol correctly. I just know what works, and breathing on it and wiping it away works for me. I just did it and my screen looks as good as new. Why does everyone on this forum have to make things so much more complicated than they really are? What television show/science teacher did you learn this crap from? Its BS.
  9. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My favorite OCD preventative when it comes to clean screens is this deionized water/ polymer solution that I got at Best Buy. While the breathing/ shirt combo works, I find that over time stuff just builds up. At that point I use this stuff in conjunction with a cloth that it came with, and it works perfectly.

Deionized water is incapable of conducting electricity (chemistry fact of the day), so it is perfectly safe for use on electronics. Just shop around for something like this, and it's all you'll need for the next 10 years (it comes with a ton of solution).
  10. craigstephen420

Now, theres a real solution! Easy, straight to the point. Thanks. I haven't had mine long enough to notice any build up. Good post.