Albums?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by troj, Mar 3, 2010.

1. troj

troj New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi. I'm new. I have a "problem" since downloading the lastest iPod touch software (3.1.3). Albums with multiple artists appear multiple times

Please Register or Log in to view images

. There aren't (as far as I can tell) multiple copies of the album. They just appear multiple times when catalogued by album or when looking at the album covers. It's mostly just annoying

. Is there a solution to this? If you know of one, can you please email me directly lukeredfive@hotmail.com
    Hope someone can help (p.s. my wife has the same problem with hers

2. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    if your looking in artists they would appear multiple timnes.. is that what u mean?
  3. troj

troj New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No looking in albums and multiple copies of the same album appear (one for each artist)
  4. Jodene =o)

Jodene =o) Member

Device:
    iPad 4
    It's because your Album Artist and Artist have different or two/3 names in them.

For example... you might have the Eminem album, but your Artist name says (examples only)

Eminem (with Fall Out Boy)
    Eminem and Dr Minogue
    Eminem (f. NKOTB)

Therefore it will list the album 3 times under each of those names.

You'll just need to do a bit of clean up work to get them all how you like it.

If you can't see in Itunes the Album Artist and Artist... just right click on the top bar (where is says Name, Artist, Rating, Genre etc)..and you can choose which things you want to appear there. Then just right click files and GET INFO and change things to how you want them to read on your ipod.

(Basically, what I do is hide the artists names in the title of the song, then keep the Album Artist just one person.... eg. Title: My Name is Stan, Artist: Eminem (with Fall Out Boy), Album Artist: Eminem would become Title: My Name is Stan (with Fall Out Boy), Artist: Eminem, Album Artist: Eminem)... just play around with one album and see how it pans out for you

** Edit. Ooooo.....Also.. check 100% that the Album title or Artist name's are exactly the same. Sometimes it's just the difference of a capital letter or space = Puddle of Mudd and Puddle Of Mudd / Rage Against the Machine or Rage Against The Machine will list as two separate albums/artists....

Hope that all makes sense

Good luck... it can be a lot of work to make your ipod tidy

5. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have the same issue... not sure how to fix it so generally I avoid iTunes Album View...
  6. .Pandora.

.Pandora. Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    In iTunes, enable Album View. Then select all the multiples of the album. Right click and click "Get Info." Press OK when you get a popup that is along the lines of "You're editing multiple albums etc..."
    Checkmark almost everything (I'll include a SS below)
    After that click OK and the albums should merge.

The albums duplicate themselves like that because if you have a song with multiple artists, or as Jodene said, a difference in capitalization.

How the checkmarks should be:

7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ah okay. Makes sense. I was just checking the Album title.
  8. troj

troj New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for that everyone. The thing that is annoying me is that my older version of the iPod software never used to do it (except where there was a problem with spelling/capitalization) ie different artists on the same album were not recognised as a different album. It was all very neat. Now, some of my soundtracks that have 10-15 artists and each appears as different album! I was hoping that the good people at iTunes/Apple had something in my iPod/iTunes that would allow me to switch off their new ("stupid") fotmatting of albums. Why make an update worse?
    Does anyone know of an email contact/support at iTunes where I can ask this question?
  9. fhqwhgads

fhqwhgads New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Select all songs in album -> right click -> get info -> (yes if prompted) -> select 'options' -> part of a compilation = yes
  10. troj

troj New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Worked perfecrltly! Thanks