Album Art Wallpaper

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by magic8ball88, Mar 15, 2010.

1. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Sorry if this has already been posted but I checked the sticky and used the search button.

What I had in mind was an application that changes your wallpaper to the album artwork of the current song playing. I figured since the lockscreen already does this would it be possible for the wallpaper to also?
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yeah this could work, but it wouldn't actually "change" the wallpaper, it would just be an overlay "above" the actual wallpaper and "below" the icons. If album art could not be retrieved for a certain song, the overlay would become "invisible", letting the wallpaper show through.

I'll look at some class-dumped headers and see what I can do.
  3. tanktan38

tanktan38 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Interesting idea. I think it would blend in with the text and the icons though. I don't like when wallpapers do that. Although I probably wouldn't use it, lots of others would.
  4. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    That's a pretty cool idea. I'd use it. Very good idea.
  5. magic8ball88

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Thanks. I had a Bring Me the Horizon theme set and it felt weird looking at it while listening to Cannibal Corpse so this came to mind.

@tanktan38 the Bring Me the Horizon theme I was using did make it hard to see app names but I used a modified version of the package "Font Colors" in Cydia changing the font to white and that seemed to work.
  6. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    There is one issue, however: album art isn't 480x320 like the iPhone screen, so it wouldn't cover the wallpaper completely. Of course, the app could allow users to customize the album art placement based on their current theme, but nice features like that require more development time, of which I don't have a lot. If anyone is experienced and wants to work with me on this, let me know.
  7. magic8ball88

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I knew that the album art wouldn't fit the screen right but with a nice dock it wouldn't look to bad. A black background goes with most anything. Also if you said the album art would overlay the wallpaper you could use bosspaper to get a cool abstract design to fill the empty space above and below.
  8. magic8ball88

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    How much memory would an app like this use?
  9. Youkilled11

Youkilled11 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I've been looking for somthing like this all over the internet and Cydia as well. If someone makes somthing like that, please let me know.
  10. rykah

rykah Member

I don't think it would take up too much RAM...

Besides, don't iPods come with image resize blurring engines anyway? When you expand/shrink something, it blurs the image to hide pixels (Shrink from the Cydia store is a good example of this).

So, when expanded, the album art -should- look blurry, so it isn't icon-intrusive or pixely.