Album art - I can't get it on! Please help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stratocaster2000, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Stratocaster2000

Stratocaster2000 New Member

Ok, I feel like throwing my iPod through a window.

I have no clue how to get this $#!!! album art onto the 2G I bought.

Some albums I've put onto iTunes have the art already embedded; fine. It appears on coverflow and also on the album list.

Others, there's no art, and I've had to go find the pics for on google. And here's where nothing works. I save the photos I find onto my C:, and then in iTunes, I right-click "get info", paste the art on the artwork tab, and now it appears on the album list on the iPod. However, when I select a song, no artwork, just a black square. But if I turn the iPod sideways, the art appears on coverflow.

Also, if I want to apply the art to the entire album - I scroll over the song list in iTunes, right-click over all the highlighted songs, I can paste the image in the little artwork box, and a checkmark appears. I click ok, and iTunes appears to synch the iPod...but although on iTunes it lists each song as having that art, all I see is a $%$!! black square when I select a song!

All I want is to have the coverflow accurately depict the art for each album (which it doesn't - sometimes all I see is a black square, but the album art appears in the alphabetical list?!) and also have it appear on the alphabetical list.

Please, somebody - please tell me the foolproof method for retrieving cover art and sticking it in iTunes so that I can see them associated with all songs on my list and on the coverflow. I've wasted hours on this retarded crap.
  2. Duykur

Duykur Banned

your first step is whats wrong

just get the picture from google, don't save, just drag th image from your browser to the left sidebar where it says drag album art here. If you don't see this, click the button on the button on the bottom left that looks like a arrow.
  3. eberglar

eberglar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You need to make sure all of your songs are tagged correctly. I like to tag all of the tracks in a specific album at the same time.

Select the first track of the album, hold the shift key and select the last track. this will highlight all of the songs. Enter your info for these three items -

Artist
    Album Artist
    Album

Now, before you paste in your artwork, make sure that none of the tracks has any artwork attached to them.

Select all of the tracks again and paste the artwork.

This should all be done in iTunes before transferring the tracks to your iPod.
  4. Stratocaster2000

re

I'm on a PC - I don't see that stuff.
  5. Duykur

Duykur Banned

Itunes on mac and pc have the same features

look closely, you will find it.
  6. Stratocaster2000

re

"Artist
    Album Artist
    Album"

What if the "Album Artist" field is blank when I "get info"? Does it matter? What do I enter in this blank if I need to do this?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok, I don't see anything in the left sidebar that says "drag artwork". I can't drag anyway though on a PC (?)

Anyway, here's an example of what I'm doing. On iTunes, I have AC/DC's "Who Made Who". No art listed when I right click on any one song.

Now, I can add the art ONE song at a time no problem if I right-click and add the art from my C: But this is unbelievably painstaking. However, it does appear 100% in coverflow and my album list when I do this.

But for this, it's listed, each track, as "Artist - AC/DC, Album, Who Made Who, Album Artist (blank)." So I scroll over the entire list of songs, and iTunes prompts me, "do I want to edit multiple songs?" I say yes. Then I get a screen where in the lower right there's a blank space for art. I have to paste it here though, I can't browse for it on my C. So, I cut and paste into this space, and the checkmark beside it now highlights. Press okay.

Now, on iTunes, this art is associated with each track. So far so good. I put it on the iPod, and now the album art appears on coverflow, and the album appears on the alphabetical list, but if I select a song, all I see is a black square. No musical note in the middle - just a black square. Huh?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ok, thanks guys. That was the key - doing all this on iTunes first. I was trying to make the changes to multiple listings on the iPod itself.

Solution - delete the iPod, change it all in iTunes, reload iPod. Man!
  7. eberglar

eberglar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Type it in.
  8. 1YNQMWQVHZ

1YNQMWQVHZ Active Member

Do you still have problems or is it fine now?
  9. Stratocaster2000

re

It's fine now. I basically had to erase all the content on the iPod and then paste the album art in iTunes and load it back.

I found it confusing because I can do things like edit song titles on the iPod itself...and SOME limited art can be put on there. But the only foolproof way is to do it in iTunes first, it seems.
  10. justcharlie

justcharlie New Member

I've been having this exact same problem and hadn't found a solution until I read this. Coverflow was glitchy also, sometimes albums which didn't properly display the cover art would show cover art from another album on the same ipod. So, for example, like 6 albums in coverflow all had the same artwork as Coldplays Viva La Vida. weird. I'll copy all the files to itunes though, make sure the album art works there, and then put them back on the ipod.