Alarm

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tequilaboom, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tequilaboom

tequilaboom New Member

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if there's an alarm application available so that instead of using the standard ipod touch alarm tones to wake up, I could perhaps play a song to wake up to?

If there isn't such an application, maybe there's some sort of another way to make the ipod touch play a song as an alarm tone?

Thanks for all the help!

p.s. I have the ipod touch 2G
  2. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    At the moment, no. There's no an app to play music for the alarm clock.
  3. darthfodder

darthfodder New Member

Yes, but you need a couple things/to know how to do a couple things.

1. A jailbroken ipod touch. If yours isn't jailbroken you can do a search to find out how, I just did it and it took me all of about 45 minutes, search time included.

2. SSH access to your ipod touch. This lets you view the ipod touch's file system. There are several programs out there, I used iphone tunnel and WinSCP. You also need OpenSSH on your ipod touch, you can find it in Cydia. If you don't know how to do any of this, again; the information is easily accessible via search; this is not primarily a guide ssh, its mainly helping you get music as an alarm. I would post links but the rules on this site forbid it I think..But just downloading and installing both and then running iphone tunnel gave me access to the file system

3. Now you need to make your ringtone. Go into itunes. If you bought the music on itunes you can simply right click a song and convert it into a ring tone. If you bought your music some other way, right click the song and convert it to AAC. Now it will be in your itunes music folder inside of the artist and album folder. The default for vista is USER/Music/Itunes/ARTIST/ALBUM( insert your username, artist of the song, and album name in appropriate spots) the AAC file you created should be there. Unlike most files, you can simply change the file extension and it makes the file work. Vista users may initially be frustrated because it hides the file extension from you, but you can just rename it within the next step..if it doesn't hide the extension from you, just change it to .m4r here and now.

4. Open iphone tunnel and choose WinSCP, if you use another or want to use another and the same instructions don't work for you, again, do a search.

5. WinSCP should come up and "iphone" should be listed. double click it and your ipod touch file system should be there. Click the ".." (it means up one directory) until it doesn't do anything anymore(at this point you're at the ipod touch's main file system) from there, navigate to /private/var/stash/Ringtones.LTjGEn

6. On the left of the iphone's file system, it should have your own file system, navigate to the ringtone you created. Now, if the file extension isn't .m4r, rename the file to change it to that now(right-click/rename "FILENAME.m4r", without the quotes and FILENAME replaced by the original file name minus the original extension) You can simply drag and drop it into the directory, and voila! it should work as an alarm.

If it doesn't work for you, all I can say is that it worked for me, and I can't really give any more help than my own experience because I just got this itouch and I'm new to all of this stuff. Also, my guide might have seemed like I tried too hard to hold your hand, I was just trying to make it as idiot proof as possible.