Review Airport Mania Review

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by Abcmsaj, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus

Please Register or Log in to view images

It's not often we get a cheap game with a vast gameplay on the iPhone. I mean... The Sims 3 is long... but £6? What if you could have a game for $1 that has addictive and long lasting gameplay?

Airport Mania is a new game to the App Store, made by Reflexive Entertainment, and his been in the top 5 UK Paid App charts for about a fortnight now.

I figured, for a cheap app with such high reviews, I might as well buy it and give it a go. It wasn't a mistake.

Gameplay

The idea of the game is to successfully guide planes into the airport, get passengers off, load more on, give fuel or repair-work to the plane if necessary, and then put it back in the sky. Timing is key. If you get angry customers and a late plane, you'll get less points than if you take off early.

You're supplied with landing strips, docking stations and waiting areas, and as the game progresses and inevitably becomes harder, you'll be given garages and workshops to help repair and refuel planes.

You'll see a plane in the sky, tap to select, tap a runway to land and then either put it on a dock or in a waiting place - Planes are happier in waiting places than just standing on the runway!

Also, combos count. If you land a plane on a runway where another plane was recently landed, you can start a combo of up to x4 for your score. Same applies for passengers - Each plane is a different colour, and so if you dock a green plane on a green dock - You can build a combo up!

(Taken from the PC Version of the game)

Buying extras might help you out. As you get a high score, you can buy things from the store - Whether it be a VIP waiting space, In-Flight movies to keep planes happy in the sky, a faster docking station or even a Paint Machine to help you with those colour combos!

How does it look?

Pretty good, in my opinion. The graphics don't need to be flashing like NFS or Sims, but these cartoon planes seem to just do the job. Extra thins like smoke coming from planes and the animation on the runway arrows is nice - And I also like how there are 8 different environments with different docking stations and backgrounds for each one.

What else?

You can get awards / achievements in the game for pleasing passengers or having a lot of planes come into your airport. What I like the most about this game is that you're given a star rating on your performance on a particular "day," - Supreme Score being the best (3 stars) then Master (2 stars) and so on. According to the game - Noone has ever gotten 3 stars on every level yet...

You can also add users - So you don't just have to have one game save. You can share with family without the fear of them starting a new game, or you can complete the game once and start a new one with new goals in mind - The sky's the limit (no pun intended... alright... there was a pun intended.)

Watch a video review of it here:

Overall

If you've got $1 or 59p, it's a great game to kill time. Each stage of the 8 has 5+ sublevels built in (stage 7 has 7 and stage 8 has 8 levels! I'm not that far yet...) Each stage takes about 30 mins to complete, and then once you've realised you only gained 2 stars, you redo it and go for 3!

There's also a PC/Mac version which I haven't yet tried out, but I'm planning to as soon as this review is published - So I better hurry up and finish it..

On the basis on price, gameplay, graphics and all the extras, I'm going to give this:

Improvements might be... online score boards for each level? But the gameplay at the moment is comparable to the game "Flight Control" (review on that coming soon) - But with a lot more features and replay value for your money.

Get your copy here: www.itunes.com/app/AirportMania

Attached Files:

2. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

Nice review. I love this game, very addictive in Religion class.
  3. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Have you played Flight Control? That's quite addictive too when you find out your mate's got 49...
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Great game. Another top review!
  5. vcjesusfreak

vcjesusfreak New Member

I do not think this app should be compared to flight control, they are completely different. I like Flight Control, but I still like Airport Mania better, oh... and I have landed 133 by the way.

To the reviewer: I think Airport Mania should be rated 5 stars, the only problem I see with it is I wish the upgrades would stay, instead of needing to re-upgrade every time you move on.