AIM doesn't start

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by wyatt.goettsch, Dec 27, 2009.

1. wyatt.goettsch

wyatt.goettsch New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    AIM won't start. All that happens is the main window comes up with none of the buttons/tabs rendered. Then it crashes after about 10 seconds.

I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, but that didn't help at all.

Deleting cache didn't work either.

How do I fix this?

Thanks.
  2. danmcintosh50

danmcintosh50 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I can fix your problem

I had the same issue I went to settings, then general, then reset, then I clicked reset network settings. and took off location services, after recconnecting to my network (House internet) it just wanted me to retype in my Screename, and it works again. I think either the network was up, or the location services need work. Hope this helps.

Danmcintosh50
  3. pm8k

pm8k New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I also had the same problem starting this morning, and i tried dan's method, to no avail. Was there anything you did?
  4. LedZeppe75

LedZeppe75 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've been having he same problem since yesterday afternoon, and I also tried using dan's method, but it didn't work. I've even tried restoring my ipod and that didn't work.
  5. bkscorpion

bkscorpion New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I am having the same issue since either late last night or earlier this morning. What it seems like is something isn't working quite right with logging into the AIM server. I did discover a workaround. If you turn off WiFi, turn it back on, go to the AIM app before the iPod connects to the network, AIM will load and state you are not connected to the network and then you will see reconnecting and it will connect. I too restored my iPod thinking it was something with the iPod, but it still does the same thing.

UPDATE: Here is what I found so far and hopefully will save you some pointless troubleshooting. The workaround I mentioned above may be your best hope for now, but there is another way to get it to work without any issues. I have a Verizon Wireless HTC Touch Pro 2 with WiFi sharing and when I connect to that, AIM works consistently; no need for the workaround. Comcast is my home ISP with a Cisco/Linksys Wireless N router. That is what isn't working, only with the workaround. I want to lean towards the issue being with Comcast or the Cisco router, but I have no way to prove that other than using a different ISP (Verizon Wireless) and "router" which works. I don't think there is going to be much we can do to fix this other than trying a different ISP or router. Reset/Restore doesn't work, don't waste your time, you'll just having to re-enter your settings only to find it still doesn't work. Deleting the app and reloading, doesn't work. You may have better luck with that, but from the number of people who already tried those methods, they haven't worked yet. I restarted my router, that didn't work either. Only thing left to try is restarting my cable modem, but I doubt that will work as well.
  6. Elekt

Elekt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Greetings!
    I too am having the same problem and I'm struggling to search for a solution. Here is the extent of my troubleshooting, for those keeping track:

Yesterday at 4pm CST, I was able to use AIM on my iPod. I have iPod AIM set up to stay logged in for 12 hours after I leave the app. At around 11pm, I log in to AIM using Pidgin (no WiFi where I was at, only cabled connection) and chat with some friends. When I'm done, I stayed logged in on that specific machine. I return home and at about 2am, I get the usual Push popups for IMs now that I have WiFi. I try to load in to the IMs, but AIM was doing that wonderful screen that wyatt.goettsch described, then crashing to the Home screen. This was happening even after an iPod reboot.

I removed the app and reinstalled it, with no luck. I then removed the app, rebooted the iPod, then reinstalled, with no luck. Removed, rebooted, let sit overnight, rebooted, then reinstalled, and still no luck.

I tried danmcintosh50's suggestion of resetting network settings, with no luck.

I can confirm what bkscorpion is mentioning with the WiFi off then on and quickly load AIM trick. I have successfully logged into AIM this way, and changed my settings with AIM. I've even tapped the Logout button when done. Catch is, once you exit the app, trying to load back into the app goes back to the blank screen and crash cycle.
    Similarly, I found last night that AIM will load (disconnected) with WiFi completely off.

At current, I'm trying to log out of all signed in locations with AIM. I'm wondering if the AIM server is just pissed at seeing so many connections from one IP and won't let AIM connect normally, although Pidgin and Mac AIM seem to be fine.

I'm attempting to resolve this without resetting the iPod.

(And I also can't help but wonder if there was a bug in the app code that's causing it to crash. Seems all too odd to me that several people have had the problem start at the same time.)
  7. brizzle777

brizzle777 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I was looking for solutions online, and I found that the problem for me was that I might have had multiple apps running. I found that to fix this, you should hold down the home button for a few moments (about 7 seconds). After doing this, I found I could log into AIM perfectly fine. It might work for some.
  8. fernoferocious

fernoferocious New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    so this has been happening all so recently? i've been having the same exact problems. i tried turning my location off and i was able to log on to aim. but then i closed it to tweak with another app and went back to find the blank screen. it's been a very irritating day for me to try to figure this out. i only got my ipod for christmas and aim is my most used app :[
  9. Elekt

Elekt New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey All,

I managed to sign off all my AIM accounts and the problem still persists.

I did some keyword searching on Twitter and it looks like this is a widespread thing. My guess is leaning more towards some programming bug.

As for brizzle777's suggestion, I couldn't get it to work for me, but your mileage may vary.
  10. fernoferocious

fernoferocious New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i'm about to agree with a program bug. it's the wifi that's making aim not appear. if wifi is off, it works fine, but of course it's not connected so it's rendered useless. bkscorpion's solution seems to be the only one that works but that would be very irritating to have to constantly rush back and forth between settings and aim. i'd rather just find a solution to fix it completely.

:sigh: