After jailbreaking 2G Touch can you remove EU volume limit

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stratplayer, Mar 13, 2009.

1. stratplayer

stratplayer Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am just about to get an ipod touch and was going to get a pal who is off the US in two weeks to get it out there, so that I don't have to be dictated to by the EU about how loud i can listen to my ipod at!

That said I would prefer a UK model from Amazon so I can send it back easier when or if it was ever faulty.

Is it possible to remove this limit using the jailbreak? I have noticed some posts that talk about the jailbreak allowing you to see files not normally visible using SSH from PC/Mac and editing a file to change the 0.829999 to 1. But these are talking about 1st gen models not the 2nd gen.

Has anyone who has applied the jailbreak to an EU ipod touch 2g tried to remove the volume limit yet? If so did it work and how did u do it?

Many thanks in advance..
  2. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I didn't have it until you mentioned it but there is something called "Volume Boost (firmware code)" that claims to remove the factory limit..
    This is what you are looking for yeah?
  3. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes it is very possible! There is an app in cydia that is free of charge that raises the volume limit.

Or you can buy headphones that have a volume dial attached to it to increase the even more
  4. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

If headphones could raise the volume they would need some kind of amp built in.
  5. stratplayer

stratplayer Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It wasn't an app that changed the volume, it was physically editing a file that is normally hidden, but after jailbreak it is possible to connect to the ipod and use an editor to search for this string and edit it... i am trying to refind the post and will paste it into this thread
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Ah ha found it.... I want to know if this still works on a 2nd gen model Touch after jailbreak

...on the mac rumors forum:

EU: How-To: Uncap the volume limit on european iPod Touch models
    What you need:

- iPod Touch with Jailbreak "applied"
    - a program to edit .plist files (macs come with one or you can use textwrangler)
    - Cyberduck (or any other SFTP program)

What to do:

1. Connect to your iPod touch via SFTP
    2. copy the following file over to your desktop: /System/Library/privateframeworks/Celestial.framework/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist
    3. You should see a lot of keys (F, Z, ZD, etc...) with a value of 0.82999999 (or 0.83)
    4. Change the value of all keys to "1"
    5. Save the file
    6. Upload to the original file location on your iPod
    7. Power off the iPod (using the red slider) and turn it back on.
    8. Enjoy loud music.
  6. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The thing in cydia I mentioned above is not an app its a tweak. It has no visible icon so its quite possible it does this editing for you

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. stratplayer

stratplayer Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ah.. that sounds promising indeed!

I am not too bothered about volume for the ears, its just that in my car usign the AUX socket i have to crank the volume up by another 50% to hear it over the in car mp3 cd player.
  8. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well I did a rough test on my half-decent sony earphones before and after and it seems a pretty good boost. couldn't test it too long as it is a little to loud for earphones to handle

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. cjori

cjori New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wait, European iPod Touch 2G are volume reduced compared to American iPod Touch 2G?
  10. wSYayo

wSYayo New Member

yea..i dont know the exact terms of the law but it either has to do something with noise pollution, or hearing safety, maybe a combo of both