After 2 years my Core fails me...

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Appstore 2.0, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

My Xbox 360 just got the 3 red lights of death. It was a core, and i've spent over £100 basically turning it into a premium (hard drive, controllers, headset) and i only just bought Guitar Hero III 2 days ago!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Obviously, it's well past it's warrenty, and i'm not sure microsoft would fix it, but even if they did i wouldn't want the hastle of packing it and shipping it to them.

So, in two days i'm buying a new xbox 360, premium - 60gb harddrive. Not out of free will, but because microsoft basically took my money for 2 years of entertainment, granted it was an amazing 2 years. But i didn't even fully get to experience the joys of xbox live, as i only just became a member of LIVE in february.

Why make a topic on this story? Well i do need some help.

I have a few questions.

1. The "new" new xbox 360 has a better motherboard it is not nicknamed FALCON, it's even newer than that. If a buy an xbox on tuesday... will i have the new (not falcon) one, or will i have a falcon one? Also is there a chance i'll get an even worse 360 (the one prone to flashing lights more than the FALCON is?).

2. Will i be able to transfer my GOLD status over to the new 360? Is it as simply as slotting in my old 20gb harddrive or is it more complicated than that? Could you do a step-by-step tutorial please if you know how to transfer xbox LIVE status.

3. Supposing question 2 is easy to sort out, can i sell my old (broken) CORE for any money... any money at all? Could i sell the 20gb HD (that i paid £69.99 for)? Could i sell the wired controllers? And by "sell" i mean "trade in" as i don't have an eBay account.

So, to conclude... I'm pissed off. My xbox 360 breaks just as i was going to buy some MS points, going to buy Fable II and other amazing games that are coming out soon...

Now i know what the Kanye West song "flashy lights" is truly about.

:twisted: microsoft.
  2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ive had it 4 times.

:/
  3. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Instead of buying a new one, use the X-clamp fix. Done it myself.
  4. TSOnTheDrums8892

TSOnTheDrums8892 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wow what a coincidence, one of my friends just got the RRoD after 2 years also....

i really hope i dont get it even though im still covered under warranty forever...

OH and i just remembered, Microsoft WILL replace it for free anytime within like 3 or 5 years for 3 red lights issue...

so dont go out and buy a whole new xbox, just wait the 3 weeks and get a brand new one, which means it will hav an HDMI output too...
  5. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

What is this (i don't mind hard modding if that is what it entails, as it's f***ed anyway so i might as well break it even more

)?
  6. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey dude you might have already tried this but take out your harddrive and then turn your xbox on then reinsert your harddrive, also you just go to "recover gamertag" to transfer over your gold status

7. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Glad you wanna get your hands dirty

Heres a website - http://www.x-clamp-fix.com/catalog/product_info.php?info=p5_X-Clamp-Fix-DIY-Kit.html

Also theres youtube videos etc. May look complicated but its really easy following instructions.

Got my parts off ebay for....about £6
  8. Clownassasin

Clownassasin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    DONT BUY A NEW ONE if theres a store near where you live called Play N' Trade they can fix your xbox, one just opened up by my house and they fix the red rings and stuff. Also if it helps, the ones by my house, are all located near a movie theater

9. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Didn't think someone else would would know about this. I remember I bought a sh*t one off ebay then accidentally cut I trace when trying to take off the clamps. I want to do it to the one I have with the falcon board because I know all xbox's are going to fail eventually. I am actually using it to watch The Simpson's Movie right now "Next stop, Alaska!" Anyways It's funny I got the old power supply, the 200 some odd watt one, but the new GPU. I had a core at one point to because my friend needed a bike and traded it to me.(I had two bikes and he wanted a BMX) Neither one has had a problem until I sold it and they decided to play their backups online

Anyways, the x-clamp is fairly easy to perform and if I remember correctly I performed it only at 12 or 13. So its not to bad. Just be careful when removing the clamps. It's a bit of drilling and and buying some new screws and nuts. Pretty easy stuff in my opinion.
  10. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch