Advice.

Discussion in 'Music, Movies, TV, and Videos' started by NinetyFour, Jun 5, 2010.

1. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey guys,

I'm at a serious fork in the road right now. I've been playing piano since I was 6 years old, and I'm 16 right now. I've been playing Royal Conservatory Of Music (which is classical music). Currently I'm at grade 9 of 10. I started hating classical music since I was 9. But I was forced to keep going by my ******-esque mother. Now I don't think I can take it anymore. I feel pretty good whenever I'm not playing piano, then when I bring myself to practice, I'm depressed for the next couple days. I hate it so much. I've thought about quitting since I was 9 and have hated it ever since. But I've been playing for more than 10 years, I don't know if I should quit. I'm almost there, so close. I keep telling myself, you just have 2 more grades left. I feel like I can do it, but when I start playing, it seems more and more impossible. I can't play this music if I hate it, simple as that. I've been wrestling with this for the past year and I need some advice. My mother says she'll let me stop if I really want to and if it really is killing me, but she says that I'll regret it in the future, and that seed of doubt is now planted in my head. I need a non-biased 3rd party to help me out, which is you guys. What do I do? I get depressing thoughts whenever I think of this.
  2. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well playing piano is a really great thing to know how to do. I figure after 10years you know how to play, and probably don't truly need to learn more if you don't want to.

On the plus side, Playing any sort of musical instrument looks great to colleges when you apply, although there are a lot of piano players out there so you really do want to be one of the best if that's what you're going for.

Is it just the piano that you hate or is it the classical music? I'm not a huge fan of classical music myself, I can't play it by myself (I play sax btw) but I know that in my school band I rather enjoy all that stuff. If you don't mind playing the piano so long as you're playing things that aren't so...boring..I'd suggest seeing if your school has a jazz band/jazz choir that's in need of a piano player. It's a hell of a lot more fun.

I guess my final verdict would be: you're probably good enough, if it's to the point where it's really bringing you down then you should quit.
  3. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You will regret it. As much as you hate classical music I'm sure you will learn to appreciate it when you are older. One of the administrators at my school quit at 9 but picked it back up in college (self taught) and he is very good but he said he wished he didn't give it up for those teen years. Piano is something you will appreciate your whole life where as wrestling, chances are you will stop way before your golden years.
  4. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I love jazz piano. My piano teacher is a jazz master. Give him a room and a piano and he'll just improvise for the whole day. I want to be his apprentice in jazz. So yes, I love the piano, but the classical music is just not for me. I've endured it for as long as I have and I feel like I deserve to play music that I actually enjoy.
  5. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    @magic8ball: I think you misinterpreted the OP, he didn't mention wrestling, he said he was wrestling with the thought of quitting piano.

But you have to remember that the OP's been taking piano for 10 years, he knows how to play and if he ever has a desire to play more he can always pick it up later.
  6. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I could appreciate jazz piano my whole life.
  7. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well it sounds like you just need to reroute yourself NinetyFour, drop the classical stuff and pick up jazz instead. In terms of difficulty, jazz is generally harder than classical, but there are a lot of different factors in each.
  8. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah exactly but what if I end up regretting not finishing RCM?
  9. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Lol that has got to be the funniest mistake I have ever made on this forum. Sorry.
  10. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No problem, it happens.

OP, could you always resume where you left off (or take a sort of placement testing)? I'm not familiar with the program, what do you gain from finishing it?