iOS 3.1 Advice needed on jailbreaking iPod Touch 3G 3.1.1 64GB

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Reason, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Reason

Reason New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello,

I'm new here and new to Apple products. I know there are many requests for help here and I have spent the last two days reading guides and comments about how to jailbreak my iPod; so far I got nothing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I recently bought a 64GB iPod Touch 3G (2G officially, right?)

Here are the specs:

- 64GB
    - Version: 3.1.1 (7C146)
    - Model MC011LL
    - Serial: the 4th/5th digit = 39

Problem:

After reading that Blackra1n can work on 3.1.1 too, I ran BR and I'm pretty sure it worked normally (though I think after a few trials) and sure enough, there was a Blackra1n icon on my iPod but I had no wireless connection at that time, so I couldn't download and install Cydia. I think after restarting the device, the icon was no longer there (without uninstalling it), but I didn't care at the time.

One day later, I have wireless connection and it works; run blackra1n and everything is going smooth, it says done and waiting for reboot. After reboot, there is no blackra1n icon!

Please Register or Log in to view images

After manual restart, my iPod shows the USB and iTunes logo image which is supposed to be normal on devices on which Blackra1n have been used, so I have to connect it to a PC and use blackra1n like a jailbroken device, but mine isn't jailbroken.

Tried:

- Running blackra1n many times.
    - Using "Reset All Settings" and "Erase All Content and Settings", and then trying again with blackra1n.
    - Searching for Blackrain with the "search ipod" function

iTunes doesn't allow me to restore to 3.1.1 (7C145) or 3.1.2 saying my device is "not eligible" for that operation. I don't want to upgrade to 3.1.3 yet (and lose all hope of jailbreaking it).

I'm very frustrated at the moment. I rarely ask for help on the internet but this time I'm desperate and need your help.

This problem doesn't seem to be common and I couldn't find any solution to this on the boards. If there is one, please direct me to the thread and lock this one.

I hope you can assist me and this topic becomes a resource for other members with the same problem.

Mods, I hope I haven't broken any rules here.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
  2. Steelewise

Steelewise New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    bump.... i have an 64g ipod touch on 3.1.1 i would love to do an untethered jailbreak, can someone please help us poor noobs or at least hook us up with a helpful link?
    all help is immensely appreciated!!!!
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

There is NO untethered 3.1.x jailbreak for the iPod Touch 3G. See the 'status of untethered jailbreak' link at the top of the 3G Touch forums.

Beyond that, if you're already jailbroken, you don't need the blackra1n icon on your springboard - that's only there to install Cydia or Rock. You only need it on the computer to restart the iPod; beyond that, it's redundant. If you want to install Cydia, just use redsn0w 0.9.2 and up to 'rejailbreak' the iPod, and it'll install Cydia. Your device is already jailbroken if you need to use blackra1n to restart - that's what a tethered jailbreak is. The locks on the file system have been broken, which means you only need to finish installing Cydia if you want to get jailbroken apps.
  4. Reason

Reason New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Finally!

I don't think a tethered jailbreak is that problematic. Just run Blackra1n whenever you restart the device which shouldn't be that often since restarting is seldom needed, provided you recharge your device before the battery runs out.

Thank you a million Jarlath, redsn0w did it for me! I didn't think it was jailbroken, that's why I didn't try that option. Only Cydia was needed and redsn0w took care of that for me. It's jailbroken now all thanks to you. Thank you for helping a n00b out.