Advantages to Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Cam, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Cam

Cam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm bored as hell, and Hackintosh is too much of a hassle. Why is Ubuntu considered a god-like OS? I know it's allegedly fast as hell, and safe. My concerns are this:

1. Why do you use it?
    2. What are the advantages of Ubuntu over Windows 7?
    3. Do .EXE's work on Ubuntu? Is there a drastic shortage of apps?
  2. Aprosamurai

Aprosamurai Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. I use it out of curiousity, I like seeing how things work truthfully.

2.In retrospect there are none, but if you would like to try Ubuntu for yourself I would say to download Wubi and an iso and install Ubuntu inside of windows to see for yourself, mainly because downloading an iso through Wubi takes forever lol..

3.And for the most part you can run certain exe files in Wine, but not all of them.
  3. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1. Less Viruses, Faster than Vista, MUCH better than Vista. Free upgrades and all. Just about everything is free. You know.
    2. Uhmmmmm, free? Idk, I don't use 7. EDIT: OH, customization is a plus. Ubuntu is very easily customizable.
    3. You can install Wine to use .EXE files. I have Photoshop CS2 and WinSCP running on Ubuntu 9.04. There are also not drastic shortages of apps, there are websites that have all the apps there that you will need.
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    1. I use it on a five-year-old laptop because it's light as hell and uses few resources (compared to Windows, which didn't run well at all on it).

2. I'm a Windows fan, and I prefer Vista and the 7 betas over any version of Linux, so I'll leave this one to the avid Linux users.

3. Only if they're supported by Wine. Alternatively, you could run a virtual Windows OS inside Ubuntu with VirtualBox.

The thing keeping me from enjoying Linux is the inability to sync correctly with iPhones and iPod touches with 3.0.
  5. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I can't even get itunes on here. But whatever, I barely ever add songs and all. But once mewseek gets updated (or if it ever does), then we don't need it!
  6. PlasticPenguin

PlasticPenguin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. no virusses, stable, never had a problem at all, all free software
    2. see point 1
    3. .exes don't natively run on ubuntu but there is a ubuntu equivalent for like every app out there+it's all free

it comes with a installer which lists all the most trusted apps there are so no viruses guaranteed
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    1. Viruses really don't exist, total customization and control over your machine, FOSS, a great community backing. I like to learn about Linux in general.

2. Viruses are basically non-existant, customization and control, stability, works on generally all hardware, Compiz cube. Advantages are really only how yourself measures up the OSes.

3. There are many ways of running .exes, such as through Wine as others have stated and there are a couple other ways, but some cost money.
  8. Led

Led Banned

1. I installed it because the Win 7 beta 1 was gonna die on me. It was free and i wanted to see how it was.
    2. Open-source. Everything is free, customizable, and open-source.
    3. Gotta use wine.
  9. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1. it's fun seeing how different operating systems work IMO
    2. I don't have W7, but I'd say faster and more secure. You can customize a lot, too.
    3. Depends what you want to do. Some .exe files can be ran through Wine.

And why not try OS X? It's fun getting it to work on your computer.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1. I dualboot with ubuntu and xp but i rarely use the windows partition only if i need to run something that wont work with wine. I mostly use it because this is what i had on my first computer and i kinda just went with it. I was actually surprised when i read up on windows and found out alot of software cost money lol.

2. I know with vista and xp its alot faster and secure but i have not tried windows 7 so i can't really tell you.

3. Some .exes work but theres really no point unless you need something like itunes because there is pretty much an equivalent app for everything. The only reason i have a windows partition is to sync my ipod and i never really like virtual machines because they were slow and i had problems with usb in them.