Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Adding Memory to the Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dwarf0921, Feb 4, 2009.

1. dwarf0921

dwarf0921 New Member

2. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Too much work for just a little more memory.
  3. veeloc

veeloc New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i wouldn't think it would be just so easy as to just switch em out, because they come in 4gb each and the design would have to be different, im guessing...
    not to mention they all come seperately so it'd be hard to make em all attach, then close it up together.
  4. dwarf0921

dwarf0921 New Member

Not if it saves me the $170 price difference, between the the 8GB and the 32GB model, assuming the chips aren't all that expensive. ;)

You're right switching them out wont be easy as it would be a very tedious soldering job (probably impossible by hand), fortunately I have some hook-ups that may be able to help me out. Also, they have different size chips out. The 8GB takes two 4GB chips, the 16GB takes two 8GB chips, and the 32GB takes two 16GB chips. All the Touch's use 2 separate NAND memory chips.

It seems that Toshiba, as well as Micron and Samsung are producing the NAND memory chips for the Touch. Below's a link to the Micron 16GB used in the 32GB touch. Unfortunately, I did not see a 32GB on the site, so a custom 64GB Touch might not be possible, hence there not being one. Though I haven't checked to see of Toshiba or Samsung makes one. Also, Micron does not list a price of the chips, nor do I know if it is even possible for a small consumer like myself to pick one up.

http://www.micron.com/products/partdetail?part=MT29F128G08VAASWP
  5. MrFairladyz

MrFairladyz Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if you already have it open (to replace the back like w/ goldfingers stuff) i guess its worth a shot, because you will mess up the back. you would have to be very careful... also, it would be pretty hard to swap the chips... i dont think they just slide out. maybe it would have sofware issues also (wouldnt accept the 128gb). but someone should try it ;)
  6. spipod38

spipod38 New Member

ipod memory upgrade

Assuming one knows what they are doing, it would be less risky to buy a cheap sacrificial "touch" and experiment accordingly.