adding extra gigs? Will this work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mike92, Nov 25, 2007.

1. mike92

mike92 New Member

Hi, im a new user, and i dont yet own an ipod touch. I know the features are great, but im am a bit sceptical about the amount of space. I'm looking at the 8 gig, cant afford 16. I looked at the specs and there appears to be a USB 2.0 or a firewire. i was wondering if i could buy a flash drive (usb) and converter so i could affordably add some more space. Could i browse thru the files on the flash card with the ipod?

thank you for reading.

mike
  2. NCtarheels011

NCtarheels011 New Member

dont think you can do that. i wish cause i would make it as big as my ps3's hard drive of 160 gb. but no you can't just transfer hard drive space to another like that. especially not like that. I think an 8 gb ipod will suit you fine, but i needed a 16gb.
  3. seru

seru New Member

I would suggest think about where and how you would use your ipod touch. Do you really need all your music with you at all times? are you even going to have enough time to listen to 8, 16, etc. GB everyday?

Personally I like to create my own playlist on the go and I really don't need all my music with me. When I go on long trips I will have my notebook with me so I can always use that.

AFAIK, the ipod touch doesn't have a file browser application so you wouldn't be able to see anything anyway, in addition the USB would need to draw power from the ipod touch, and I don't believe it has that capability.

You might wanna take a look at the Archos 605 wifi, they have flash and hard disk flavors.
  4. schnikelfritz576

schnikelfritz576 New Member

if ur looking for somehting with more memory. you might wanna try the archos 605 wifi. it has like 30,80, or 160 gigs for less money than the ipod touch. it also supports flash and has a bigger screen but it doesn't have multi-touch and im pretty sure u cant hack it like u can with the ipod

Edit: ha lol we posted at the same time about the same thing
  5. chefandre93

chefandre93 New Member

it also dosnt have an internet browser ipod touch is the absolute only thing that is a music player and internet browser
  6. LadiesMan217

LadiesMan217 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    dissagree w/ u there on the file browser part. there is one if you jailbreak. "MobileFinder.app" is a filebrowser application. if u kno your lingo, then termvt-100 also, anything ssh can be browser.

but agree w/ the fact that u cant use usb to use ipod as a flash drive.
  7. LadiesMan217

LadiesMan217 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    however, getting it modified, im not sure how it would work, but i kno hackers who can modify the psp so you can use the built in flash memory as storage space. if u can do that, i assume you could add flash memory to it..

hardrives would NEVER work tho.... just think, if u were to turn it... hardrive... crash!!! lol
  8. mike92

mike92 New Member

haha, i know some stuff about computers and such, but im so far out when it comes to ipods. I'm fine with 8 gigs, and i'm looking to hold a few videos, and music, not so much pictures. so two questions. 1) what does it mean to jailbreak an ipod?
    2) is the mobilefinder.app something you can download to your iPod to plug ina flash drive (stick) to your ipod and browse.

just in case there was a misunderstanding, im not using my ipod as extra memory (i can use an ORIGINAL XBOX harddrive for an xtra 8 gigs) I want to somehow use say a 2 gig usb flash stick (memory stick) what have you, and be able to scrool through the files on there, and swap things like videos/music/pics. so i want

2 gig usb stick ---->> Converter (if needed) ---->> iPod Touch 8 gig.

totaling about at 10 gigs

im not connecting to a comp. for extra storage.
  9. mike92

mike92 New Member

DUDE THIS THING IS BETTER THAN AN IPOD. I'm getting this!
  10. LadiesMan217

LadiesMan217 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if u dont want ipod, there are soooo many choices. archos is nice cept i dont like hardrive. they have larger tendency to crash, and as far as i kno, not as much efforts to jailbreak it. its nice w/ lots of native features, but an unlocked iPoT has much more.