Adding album cover manually

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Will, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Will

Will New Member

How do I make it so the whole album has the same album cover and not just one song? I added the album cover on the one song but all the other songs have no album covers, and I dont want to go into each song 1by1 and add the same picture over and over. Any suggestions?
  2. kf6tac

kf6tac New Member

If you do it in iTunes on your computer (that's how I do it, I don't know if you can do it on the iPod Touch itself), you can hold down the CTRL key (on a PC, not sure what it is on a Mac) to select all of the songs on the album at once (you still have to click on each song title individually, but they'll all select together at the end) and just add the album art for all of them at once.
  3. Will

Will New Member

Thanks worked great, how much more space am I looking at for adding album art for every song?
  4. kf6tac

kf6tac New Member

That's a good question, which I don't have an answer to, since most of my songs had album art already when I first loaded them onto my iPod. Hopefully someone else can give you an estimate. Album art images seem to be pretty low resolution, though, so they probably don't take up too much space.
  5. RoundysSince

RoundysSince New Member

I did a rough estimate - with 1000 songs (keep in mind that album songs uses the same images) - the amount of space it takes to store all the cover art is somewhere between 3-5MB. Not an issue in most cases.
  6. NabNab

NabNab New Member

You can alsow use shift. The you only have to clicl first and last song.
  7. Scythal

Scythal New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I didn't spend a lot of time checking, but I think there are two ways for iTunes to handle this.

The first way, iTunes way, is to add the cover when iTunes can find it in its database. Apparently no art is added to the mp3 files in that case, and the image is only stored once ... somewhere. Could be interesting to know how to force that for images of your own choice.

The other way is as described above: click to select one/several songs, Get Info, Artwork tab, and add a picture. But if you check with a tool like Tag&Rename, you can indeed see that the image has been added to every mp3 file, which makes something between 8kB ... 100kB/file depending on the compression level, image size etc. You may as well add the artwork outside of iTunes.

What is funny is that if you add the picture to the first song only, you will see the artwork in cover flow and in the list when you select albums, but you won't see the picture while the iPod is playing the other songs of the album.