Add iphone applications without Wifi!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by wildrice128, Oct 21, 2007.

1. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

Hey Everybody! I like some of the people here have been trying to add the great iPhone applications and un-cripple the calendar, but I can't seem to get any sftp to connect. But through some sleuthing and work, I've developed a method to install them all locally! This method is for windows, hopefully someone can augment this to work with osx.

*Read through all the directions before you proceed!*

You'll need:

A fully jailbreaked Touch

Squid app, downloaded through installer app

The latest version of iBrickr, available here: http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr

A copy of the iphone applications, available here: http://www.[PIRACY.mu].com/?d=GN9CKYJX

---
    First, Make sure itunes and all the processes associated are closed. To do this, open task manager by holding down ctrl+alt+del

Extract both iBrickr and the iphone applications, for which you will need winrar, available here: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

Next, plug your touch into the computer, open iBrickr, and select the option to add a file, and proceed with these seperate directions:

-----

For iphone apps:
    Put the mobilemail, stocks, weather, maps, and notes folders and all their contents into /Applications/
    NOTE: Since iBrickr can only upload files and not whole file trees, you will need to create each folder and then copy all files. For example, to upload everything for the notes app, first create a folder in /Applications/ called "MobileNotes.app" and then enter that folder. copy all the files you have on your computer's MobileNotes.app folder to your touch. Don't forget to create a new "English.lproj" folder and upload the file inside.

For GMM.framework: *needed for some apps: Maps, possibly more
    navigate in ibrickr to /System/Library/Frameworks/ and create a folder called GMM.framework and follow the same steps as above to copy all files and folders to the touch.

Follow the same instructions to install MobileMailSettings.bundle for the mobilemail app to /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/

Follow the same instructions to install the file N45AP.plist for an editable calendar to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/

----
    after installing all the files and folders for a single program (it may be possible to upload them all at once, but I played it safe and finished each installation consecutively) close iBrickr for a moment. Pick up your touch and open squid, and navigate to where you just installed. Click on the first file. Near the bottom you should see a 3x3 of checkboxes. Check all the boxes with 'exec' after them, and then hit apply. The permissions number in parentheses should now be 755 (woo!). After you have gone through and changed permissions on ALL the files, close out of squid, and reset your touch. On restart, your new iphone application will appear on your home screen! Repeat this with each application.

Notes of interest:

If you accidentally create a folder or upload a file to the wrong place, don't worry. Since there is no way to delete anything through iBrickr, you'll need to download MobileFinder through the Installer app. Before you start poking around in Finder, make sure you have 'show hidden files' set to on, 'system file access' set to on, and both 'application launch' and 'executable launch' set to off (this way you can navigate without accidently opening a program or something).
    Single click to select something, double click to open a folder. Hit the 'up' button in the top left corner to go back in the directory tree. Select what you want to delete and press File-> Delete. Make sure to go into settings and close Finder completely after you're done. Technically you can also change permissions in Finder, but I didn't originally suggest it because it's a bit more complicated to use than squid for what we're trying to do.

Install the GMM.framework first, and install the MobileMailSettings.bundle before installing mobilemail.

I had some trouble getting the N45AP.plist to work, but it's working now. I believe it was either the first N45AP.plist I used was faulty, or I was/wasn't supposed to change permissions in it. If anyone knows more about this, spread the word.

Thanks to michaelchan0427 for creating a great guide, which I used as the template for this. Thanks man!

Edit: Also, thank danextgrate for figuring out we can make use of ibrickr's functionality!

Edit: Forgot to put maps in the list to install. Also, added note that GMM.framework is needed for maps.

Edit: Added the method for taking out misplaced files and folders from down the page.
  2. xskater101189

xskater101189 New Member

thank you for the walkthrough but while trying to install the maps.app I accidently added another directory which I think is the cause to the map not working and silently crashing is there any way to delete the directory or am I stuck with it?
  3. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

Yeah, I did this the first time I tried uploading nes roms. Since there is no way to delete anything through iBrickr, you'll need to download MobileFinder through the Installer app. Before you start poking around in Finder, make sure you have 'show hidden files' set to on, 'system file access' set to on, and both 'application launch' and 'executable launch' set to off (this way you can navigate without accidently opening a program or something).
    Single click to select something, double click to open a folder. Hit the 'up' button in the top left corner to go back in the directory tree. Select what you want to delete and press File-> Delete. Make sure to go into settings and close Finder completely after you're done. Technically you can also change permissions in Finder, but I didn't originally suggest it because it's a bit more complicated to use than squid for what we're trying to do.

If you copy everything, have the spelling correct on all the folders, and change all the permissions to 755 (turn all 'exec' to on) everything should work after a full restart. Let me know if I can help anymore. Good luck!
  4. KissTheSwiss

KissTheSwiss New Member

Well Done

You done a great job...
    This will help lots of Ipod Touch lovers...

It took me 30 min. but its very easy and
    feels just great to see the new icons on the screen.

I had lots of problems to enter my "Ipod b*tch" via online/Wi Fi !

Greets from Paris
    KissTheSwiss
  5. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks for taking the time to make this

Please Register or Log in to view images

!
    All I need is Squid.app ... does someone know where I can download this (other than Installer, of course)
  6. toolshed

toolshed New Member

Im also having a problem getting it to work. After uploading it and changing the privileges, then rebooting, the calender app is still not editable
  7. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

toolshed, i checked back and the N45AP.plist I have now on my touch (which works! :-D) doesn't have the permissions changed, it only has all 3 read options checked and the write option under 'owner'. This makes the permission number '420 (644)' in squid. I think i used the file from bot god's website upload, which you can find here: http://www.botgod.net/

scroll down to the post about iphone applications and click the link, the file should be in there. If this one doesn't work, the other one i had on hand while doing it myself was the second package from michaelchan0427, which is here:

http://www.[PIRACY.mu].com/?d=GN9CKYJX

Hope this helps!

8. xskater101189

xskater101189 New Member

No idea what keeps happening I put the Maps.app folder in the Applications folder, then I put all the files/the other folder in changed everything to 755 I get the icon, I boot and I get a silent crash I see maps.app isnt mentioned so maybe this means its incompatible?

Also I got the weather.app working so im pretty sure Im doing it the right way maybe I have to install Gmm.framework for it to work?

*oops yep it does require Gmm.framework to run Id recomend adding that into your topic, and someone should sticky this

9. lokinz

lokinz New Member

Try installing the fix via installer.app
  10. wildrice128

wildrice128 New Member

Hey xskater! Yeah, I'll update that now. I must've missed the maps.app in the list for some reason. Thanks for the input!