ad hoc with laptop cant ping router, why?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zappa, Mar 1, 2009.

1. zappa

zappa New Member

Hi,

Im trying to set up an adhoc wifi network between my ipod touch and my laptop. All seems to be well configured but the ipod cant ping the router.

This is the network configuration:

Laptop - 192.168.1.64/24 <-----> 192.168.1.1/24 - Router
    192.168.2.1/24
    |
    |
    |
    192.168.2.2/24
    Ipod

On the ipods configuration for wi-fi nets, i have it on 'static'
    router: 192.168.2.1
    dns: 192.168.1.1
    http proxy off

I also have the internet con sharing active for wireless net connection.

Now, my problem is, i can ping 192.168.1.64 from the ipod but not the router. I have wireshark sniffing in promiscuos mode and i can see the packets sent to 192.168.1.64 ,but i cannot see any icmp packets sent to 192.168.1.1 when i try to ping it from the ipod.

I really appreciate if someone has an explanation for this, its driving me nuts. The ipod is not jailbroken. And im using some app called Ping Lite to send the pings.
  2. totalfrenzy

totalfrenzy New Member

If i read what you have said correctly, you have set up an adhoc between you laptop and your ipod. This has nothing to do with the router which is why you cant ping it.

Laptop <-> Ipod

If it was
    Router
    Laptop / \ iPod

Then there may be a problem

Hope this helps
  3. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

im not sure why there is a router involved in your ad hoc connection, that sort of defeats the purpose but when i set up my ad hoc on vista i go to network and sharing center, set up new connection, ad hoc (computer to computer) connection, i name the network, give it a WEP encryption cuz WPA2 doesnt seem to work right, once its set up it gives me the option to enable internet connection sharing, i say yes, and then i get it on my touch and enter the password, i dont put it on static, i just leave it regular and it works great, the only issue i have is with imap4 and the email stuff, my gmail account wont load through the ad hoc and i dont know how to fix it, lol
  4. claylj

claylj New Member

Please post the routing table for your laptop. You can get this by going to a command prompt and typing "netstat _rn > route.txt".

I assume that you are doing this because your router is not wireless.

Instead of using the router address for DNS, use the DNS address that the router uses. Example: my router uses 68.105.28.11 and 68.105.29.11. Most consumer routers do not serve DNS.
  5. zappa

zappa New Member

Thanks for all the answers.

claylj yes the router is not wireless, ill post my routing table later when I get home. Im not a network expert but I checked it and it was fine to me.

The problem shouldn’t be with the dns since I cant ping the router, not even sniff any icmp packets.
  6. claylj

claylj New Member

I know the DNS has nothing to do with the routing, I was just pointing out another possible issue once the routing is solved.
  7. claylj

claylj New Member

You seen to have the routing set up correctly in the laptop but you still need to make changes in your router. The router has no path back to the 192.168.2.0 network. I knows nothing about the 192.196.2.0 network so it will use its' default route which is on the WAN.

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and to set this up in my router I would go to:
    Setup > Advanced Routing

and make the following entries:

Gateway > leave this alone
    Select set number > default
    Enter Rout Name > give it a name
    Destination LAN IP 192.168.2.0
    Subnet Mask > 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway > 192.168.1.64
    Interface > LAN & Wireless

Note that the Destination LAN is the network address not a host address.
    The Default Gateway is the address of the router that knows where the destination network is (your laptop)

Hope this gets you going.

Larry