ad hoc + sftp a no go?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tyeh26, Oct 24, 2007.

1. tyeh26

tyeh26 New Member

So I don't have a router, so i set up an ad hoc network, and I successfully connected to it with my ipot. The thing is when i try to connect to it through cuteftp, it doesn't connect.
    Host: 169.254.8.163
    username: root
    password: alpine
    port: 22

any ideas? the ipod is plugged in while doing this...
  2. appwizard

appwizard New Member

Where did you get that IP? It sounds like the iPod is set to dhcp, but your pc does not have a dhcp server to answer the request. Therefore you are connected, but on a different network, try setting the ip on both your iPod and pc to the same network. IE: iPod 192.168.1.10 and the PC (wireless adaptor) 192.168.1.20 set the netmask to 255.255.255.0 on both...

This will let you connect, you will have to do some further tweaks to get Internet through your pc

I hate this autocorrect feature!!!!
  3. tyeh26

tyeh26 New Member

errr how do you do this?
  4. rcoasters

rcoasters New Member

You can set these settings by going in the Control Panel --> Networks Connections and then going in the properties of your LAN connection and your wireless connection. What I did was to share my current LAN connection with the wireless adaptor, so Windows assigned a private static IP to it and the DHCP within the adaptor assigned a valip IP address to the touch.

What I would also suggest is to use WinSCP in order to establish an SFTP connection with the Ipod.
  5. spagbol46

spagbol46 New Member

if found that if you are using cute ftp home it will not work. you have to use cute ftp pro you can download a 30day trial from their website.
  6. tyeh26

tyeh26 New Member

sigh. thanks for the help.

but there's something horribly wrong with vista. and when i access control panel -> network connections, it freezes up and i have to force shutdown network connections and restart explorer.... reformat this weekend!