Ad-hoc network won't work?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by harahune, Dec 17, 2009.

1. harahune

harahune New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm trying to set up an ad-hoc network so my iPod can get online. My computers at home are set up with a wired network (don't have a wireless modem), and my laptop has a wireless card built in. None of the other comps have wireless and I can't afford a wireless card right now. I'm on Windows XP SP3. This is what I've done so far.

-enable Wireless Network Connection in my Network Connections control panel.
    -go to the Properties of the Wireless Network Connection. Client for Microsoft Windows and TCP/IP are enabled, file sharing and QoS packet scheduler aren't.
    -go to Wireless Networks, Advanced, and check Computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) networks only.
    -go back to the Wireless Networks pane, click Add
    -give the network a name, Network Authentication is set to open, data encryption is disabled.

At this point my wireless network still says "not connected". I have a firewall on my main ethernet connection, it's disabled for the wireless. I don't see any networks at all when I go to View Available Wireless Networks and my iPod can't see my network. The iPod will sometimes see neighborhood networks but my comp never sees them.

Could my laptop's wireless card be busted? I've uninstalled/reinstalled it and updated the drivers.
  2. harahune

harahune New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    bump12345
  3. whaler911

whaler911 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Regarding Ad-Hoc nets work

This may have been implied in your description, but did you go onto your ipod touch and add a network manually with the same name as your laptop? I just got mine working with all the settings you listed, and noticed the laptop wouldn't connect until after I manually added the network on the ipod.

(EDIT - manually added the newtork using the "other" selection, under Ipod Touch settings/Wi-Fi/Choose a Network.../Other...)
  4. harahune

harahune New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, actually, I never tried that. I DID try using it to connect to the name of the network but that says "can't find a network named whatever". I'll give that a shot.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Nope, no go.