ad hoc and Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nitsua93, Jun 11, 2009.

1. nitsua93

nitsua93 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I know that it's possible to use ad hoc with ipod touch, but I'm having trouble getting it to work. My Ipod detects it but never connects to it.
    Can someone give me a tutorial for this on vista?
    Thanks
  2. Thirteen-Ten

Thirteen-Ten New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It took me forever to get this configured, so since i know, might as well save you the time and trouble i went through.

1. Go to the Network and Sharing Center and click on "Set up a connection or network".
    2. Select the Ad-Hoc option to start setting up the connection. When you get the encryption step, select WEP and make a password. When you click on the password field, there should be a balloon that pops up to tell you the specifications the password must have. Make sure to click the box that says "Save this connection".
    3. Windows will make the connection and it should say that the connection is ready to use.
    4. Go to the Network and Sharing Center and click on "View Status" of your current internet connection. Select Properties and click the Sharing tab. Check the box that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection".
    5. Go back to Network and Sharing Center. Click on Manage Network Connections, right click your wireless connection and select Connect/Disconnect. Connect to the ad-hoc connection you made in step 2.
    6. Go to the Settings of the iPhone or iTouch, get to the Wifi settings and see if the connection is detected. If it is, then input the password and connect.
    7. Test the internet connection on your device.
  3. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I did this but my laptop cant use the internet. It only said Local connection
  4. Thirteen-Ten

Thirteen-Ten New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The thing about my computer is that i have both a hard lined connection and wireless adapter in my computer. I primarily use the hard lined connection to connect to the internet while on my computer because the wireless connection from my router is too weak to get to my room. That leaves my wireless adapter unused most of the time until i use the ad-hoc connection for my Touch.

I dont know if it is possible to both connect to the internet and omit an ad-hoc connection at the same time from the same wireless adapter. Im leaning toward it being not possible because you either have it connected to the internet source or to the device, not both at the same time. I could be wrong though.
  5. karadavuti

karadavuti New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    According to my experience ad-hoc (my ipod 2g and laptop) is not working stabil always, sometimes should have trouble
  6. bunker1990

bunker1990 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If it says you are connected, but you can't access the internet, try going to the Network and Sharing Center again, click on "view Status" for the wireless Network that you're connected to, click "Properties, Double Click Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4 and make sure that you have selected "use the following IP address" Once that's selected, for the IP address, type in, 192.168.0.1 and then subnet mask should fill itself in automatically. The main problem with vista, is that one of it's "security" measures, doesn't allow you to make the computer automatically connect to an ad-hoc network, so whenever you want to use it, you will have to manually connect, firs on the computer, and then the Ipod should connect automatically. Memorize the above IP address, and whenever you want to connect the computer to wifi, select "Obtain IP address automatically" in the Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP?IPv4 settings. and whenever you want to use the ad-hoc network, type in the IP address, and you're good to go. Hope this helps, and I hope they make this less complicated in Windows 7.
  7. Thirteen-Ten

Thirteen-Ten New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hate how you have to manually connect the ad-hoc network every time you restart your computer. But its only once you have to do it, then after that, it will automatically connect to the network once the iPod is woken up.
  8. bunker1990

bunker1990 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ya, great Vista. It's a pain, and I've had more security problems with Vista then I ever did with XP. People have tried to create a work-around for it, but nobody's been successful yet. Hint hint for you genius's out there ;-)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I use this with a Verizon Aircard, and you have to do everything just so, or it will disconnect the internet connection, or a dozen other things that you have to go and fix. I blame Vista :-D
  9. nitsua93

nitsua93 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    an I blame gates