activation

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by amooseinabox, Jun 29, 2008.

1. amooseinabox

amooseinabox New Member

if you buy a iphone 3g from the apple online store will it be activated when it is shipped to you? or will it be a phone that isnt on any service and when the unlocker comes out i can put it on any carrier (verizon). My point being is there a way to get around signing up with AT&T and just have it as a ipod touch untill the unlock comes out?
  2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You cant use verizon period. It doesnt use SIM cards.
  3. amooseinabox

amooseinabox New Member

you can the black berries use sim cards that can also be used on the iphone my freind works at verizon and told me the long and boring process.... but that wasnt my question what can it be bought un activated so i dont have to deal with at&t and wait for the unlock
  4. sidthahellraiser

sidthahellraiser New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    as i was told by d other members dat once u buy d iphone 3g u cant leave d store without signing d contract with at&t
  5. sidthahellraiser

sidthahellraiser New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    the other members told me that once u buy the iphone 3g u cant leave d store without signing the contract with at&t
  6. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

The 3g iPhone has to be purchased with the 18month phone contract at the point of purchase, the main reason for this is Apple realise they can not lock down the OS sufficiently well to prevent the iPhone being unlocked to all networks, and so have instead chosen the prevention is better then cure route. If you have to have a contract to buy the device, you will not then try to unlock the device because you have no need as you have already signed up to the long expensive contract. In the regions where Pay as You go is available the cost of the device is so high you wouldn't bother anyway.

The 3g iPhone does use sim cards, if it didn't why would they give you a free paperclip with it to eject the sim card tray?
  7. amooseinabox

amooseinabox New Member

thanks for the info and to clear up the sim card thing verizon does make sim cards for some of their phones that also work with the iphone. but thanks again for the info...
  8. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You can't order the 3g online.
  9. sokolov1

sokolov1 New Member

Although you do have to sign up for an 18 month contract in store it has been debated that you could claim it is a gift for someone else and there is a rumour that apple do allow at-home activations.
  10. ccmn

ccmn Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    There is not going to be an easy tricky way to get a $199 iPhone. They will lose too much money. More money might get you one with out contract. They real value of the old iPhones are being underestimated at this time. After two months of not much headway on 2.0 and 3G hardware old iPhones will be in demand.