Activation Question(Replacing current w/iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoYaLx, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Hello IPTF!

I am currently an AT&T subscriber and recently bought an iPhone 2G to test applications I make. But after testing the apps and realizing how awesome the iPhone actually is, I really want to add the iPhone to my familyTalk plan.

Nobody on the plan has data, which I know is $20.00 extra/month for the iPhone 2G. So I put my ACTIVATED SIM card into iPhone, and it prompt me to activate, so I said OK, and connected the iPhone to my computer.

When I tried to activate it, iTunes gave me an option to "Replace a phone on this plan with iPhone." My contract has not expired yet(and won't for about a year or so). I was going to do it, but I am unsure if I will be nailed with the early termination fees ($175.00), and the cost of reactivating with iPhone ($35.00). Or can I just select it and add the $20.00/month extra fee without any of that crap.

Thanks
    Andrew
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Just Jailbreak and unlock the phone. Your at&t SIM will work in it.

From there if you want to add the data plan you can do so (just the $20 a month no extra fees)

Basically the iPhone is locked to an at&t iPhone account (not just any at&t account). You shouldn't have any issues using the iPhone on your current plan and you can add the data plan to your current plan. Just be careful telling at&t that you have an iPhone as they will want you on an iPhone plan.

Hopefully that helps
  3. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I jailbroke and unlocked with my SIM in there, it never gave me an option to activate it. I used quickpwn 2.2.5-2 and have 2.2.1. I thought unlocking it would activate it too...
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

It should activate it with the Jailbreak.

I would make sure your SIM is still working (I can't imagine it wouldn't) and start the process over. My suggestions: Do a factory restore to 2.2.1 via iTunes and do the QuickPwn process without your SIM in.

Also, if you are on a MAC you can try Pwnage tool (I have had mixed results with both Pwnage and Quickpwn).
  5. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    OK, I have restored it and it is asking me to activate it..do I run quickPWN with or without the SIM
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I have only done work on a Mac but I would do it with the SIM removed and see if that helps.
  7. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    OK, quickPWN is running, but what can I install to turn the internet off, but still be able to use wifi, text and call
  8. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

SBSettings; it may automatically install with the JB but if not search Cydia for it.

From there you can turn EDGE off.

There are other ways to do it (change the APN), but the EDGE toggle works fine. Note: even with EDGE turned off you will still see the "E" but no data will transfer via EDGE.