Activating without "upgrading" AT&T plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zwaldowski, Nov 11, 2008.

1. zwaldowski

zwaldowski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I already have AT&T with an unlimited data/text plan. If I buy a contract-less iPhone 3G (e.g., eBay or a referral program like TraInn), is there any way to get it working without activation or upgrading my AT&T plan? Would I have to unlock it, or would jailbreaking only worked?

I ask this because my mom just bought an iPhone (first gen) off Craigslist, and I set it up by using by jailbreaking/unlocking with QuickPwn and then patching the "Lockdown" plists so that any SIM is pre-activated. Hers works fine now with no problems and we see no negative account additions.
  2. lild7hina

lild7hina Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    they should be already activated if you buy it off ebay... but if they are not you can just use pwnage to bypass activation
  3. cacman93

cacman93 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    if you have to, you can import a 3g from China, BY LAW, they have to be unlocked over there, Crazy, isn't it?
  4. zwaldowski

zwaldowski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Okay, just making sure... if I buy an iPhone from the United States off of Craigslist, I could get it jailbroken and then replace the "Lockdown" files, right?
  5. lild7hina

lild7hina Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    dont think you have to replace anything just should be pop at&t sim card and go... but make sure you disable edge/3g with bossprefs otherwise your bill will be quite high...
  6. zwaldowski

zwaldowski New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    We already have their unlimited Media Net crap. Plus, I found out the hard way that all AT&T SIM cards must be activated one way or another, or it gives you the "Invalid SIM - Connect to iTunes" sreen.
  7. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    In order to use your existing sim card in an iPhone, the iPhone will need to be unlocked. There is no software unlock yet for the 3G.
  8. idoubtit92

idoubtit92 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    if he has an ATT sim card, he can just insert it and iTunes activates it with no complaints.
  9. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Not true. My AT&T Sim card would not activate via iTunes. Nor have any of my friends. Their iPhones and mine had to be unlocked and activated via quickpwn.