iPhone 3G activating iphone 3g os3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jazz5000, Oct 8, 2009.

1. jazz5000

jazz5000 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hi
    i have a iphone 3g that does not let me activate without a sim, i get the connect to itunes message and can only make emergency calls. I have updated the firmware to 3.1. Is there a way of activating the iphone using software so i can use it as a ipod?

Thanks
    Jaz
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

You can hactivate it with a Mac using Pwnage Tool (could do it on Windows if you follow the guide and have the custom firmware).

Aside from that you will probably have to get an AT+T SIM card (assuming you are in the U.S.) to activate it; it does not have to be an active SIM card but any SIM from a legitimate iPhone carrier.
  3. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    In order to activate the iPhone through iTunes, you need an iPhone plan. Simply having an at&t SIM card is not enough.

If you do not have an at&t iPhone plan, you will need to jailbreak. This will activate the phone for you.
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

To activate it all the way yes it has to be an iPhone plan. To just get past the activation screen (and use it as an iPod) it does not even need to be an active SIM; just an at+t SIM.
  5. Raist3001

Raist3001 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I have an at&t plan. Non iPhone. And I have never been able to get past the activation screen without jailbreaking.
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Just tried it again with an at+t SIM from a GoPhone and got it to work. This was on a 3G and the latest version of iTunes.

I also tried it with T-Mobile and Airtel (from India) and no luck; I used to be able to do it with the T-Mobile SIM but that was with earlier software.