ActionScript Beginner

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by Redshift, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Redshift

Redshift New Member

I've been working with flash for several years (more with graphics/animations stuff) and a week ago I finally decided to try learning ActionScript (the language you use to communicate with flash, for those of you who don't know this), in fact I've never programmed anything with any language prior to this.

So I was bored today and after a week of messing around with just the output of functions, variables, conditionals and whatnot I decided to take a stab at something more visual involving movieclips.

Well, four hours later and I come up with this:

http://www.dualidiocy.com/stuff/pythag.html

A visual representation of the pythagorean theorem, controlling the scale of a right triangle with the mouse, and seeing how the corresponding sides look when squared. I programmed the right triangle's hypotenuse to have a maximum value, so that the squared sides don't exceed the edges of the flash movie.

Tell me what you guys think.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. wazzup_ppl

wazzup_ppl New Member

lol i have no idea what u said or what is is but its fun 2 play with
  3. Redshift

Redshift New Member

Here's something else I just finished a couple hours ago. Making the green circle be attracted to the cursor was simple, but it took me a very long to to figure out how to get the red one to repel from the cursor properly. As an addition, not only does the red circle repel from the mouse, but it also is attracted to the red circle; makes this a little more interesting.

http://www.dualidiocy.com/stuff/actionscript/circles.html

EDIT:
    lols, working on a simple pong game atm. I'll post it here in a day or so.
  4. music4life

music4life Active Member

Amazing! This'll come in handy in math class for sure. THanks man. And I'm looking forward to your pong game!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Redshift

Redshift New Member

Made a thing that calculates how fast you type in words per minute.

http://www.dualidiocy.com/stuff/actionscript/type.html

It starts timing you as soon as you start typing. It also checks to see that what you've written so far matches the corresponding text above.

As for the pong game, I've been too lazy to finish it, and there are a couple glitches I can't quite figure out, and I'd rather not show it unless it's mostly functional, but I probably won't finish it because it's one of the least unique games ever nowadays. I'd rather work on a unique game.
  6. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

75 WPM. Gonna try again.
  7. Redshift

Redshift New Member